• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Save the Date! Moab 2018

Looking forward to this trip again! The sooner we pick a "headquarters" campground the better, for logistics..

It was great to meet so many folks, when this nationwide group gets together it's pretty impressive..

This will be my main vacation for 2018!!

Looking forward to this trip again! The sooner we pick a "headquarters" campground the better, for logistics..

Yeah we're working on that one behidn the scenes and talking to locals to get their opinion. I really wish Slickrock hadn't fallen so far, it's been our home since 1999!

Ok, I have some research to do before I know if I can go, since I have never been and will have to at least take the kids if not the whole family.

First Question, where to stay? Cabins, motel, campground with toilet and showers. If the whole family comes I will need one of those. Any suggestions? How soon do I need to make reservations? Approximate cost?
If it is just me and the boys I just need to know where I can park the Jeep and put up the tent.

Second Question, is Moab an easy and relatively inexpensive place to get any/everything we might need, or do we need to pack and bring food, drinks, toiletries, etc?

Third Question, do people usually drive all the way in one day, or do you stop overnight somewhere? Either way, driving the Jeep, or towing it, we are going to be going around the speed limit and will probably get really tired on the way. Las Vegas is only about a third of the way, but probably the easiest to find a place to stay.

1. If you bring the family, I'd recommend a hotel. The Canyonlands is a great campground and it offers cabins and clean facility showers, but it is always nice not to have to trek a little ways to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

2. As many others have chimed in, Moab has a pretty good sized grocery store (City Market), several gas stations, and a few auto parts stores. I'd recommend eating at the brewery and Zax (Rollins will have some good recommendations as well).

3. All but one year I have stopped somewhere near half way. Again if you take the family, no sense in wearing everyone out driving straight thru. I've done it once, and it burned me out.

Hope you are able to make it. Of the 6 years I have attended the Fall Fling, it has always been a blast. Great people, amazing scenery and too many things to do in a week.

I will hope for someone in SoCal with seat space, so I can share expenses.

I hope I actually get to stay the whole time this time, unlike the 5 hours I was there in 2013, which was my only other Moab event attempt.

I plan to be there, though!

I will hope for someone in SoCal with seat space, so I can share expenses.

I hope I actually get to stay the whole time this time, unlike the 5 hours I was there in 2013, which was my only other Moab event attempt.

I plan to be there, though!

I don't know if we are going to attempt to flat-tow the XJ there, or just drive it. If we do tow it, there will be an empty seat in the Suburban, but there won't be enough room in the Jeep for the trails, so you will have to find another empty seat for that.

The Moab event forum is up and running!

Click here

Please keep checking back for more information and updates.

I did the 25th, might as well try and make the 35th.
Time to spend some time with the old beast, it hasn't been out in quite some time.

-bpk

I have never been to Moab, but the Jeep has been there many times. Looking forward to reacquainting the XJ to familiar territory while it is all a new adventure for me.

I booked a room at the Apache Motel. If I can get a cabin at KOA I'll cancel the motel, but this way I have a backup plan.

The event will be headquartered at the Moab-KOA. They are now taking reservations for the dates of our event.
Click here to make reservations.
Make sure to put "attending NAXJA event" in the special instructions spot so that they can make the best attempt to group us together.
Also, if you join the KOA-rewards program, most folks attending the event will save money on their stay that's more that the rewards program costs.

The facebook event is here.
Facebook event

The Moab event forum is here:
Click here

Reserved our spot at the Moab-KOA. This will be the first time the family and I have attended Moab. We look forward to meeting all of you out there.

Why, just why?

Oh yeah, it did snow on the way home from the 25th.

And Utah state troopers are serious about tire coverage, they pulled me over but let me off with a warning when they decided my socal self didn't know what snow was.
I'll be there for the first time in 5 years.

This never used to be a problem for me, but it seems that D60 front axles and 12.50 tires don't quite fit anymore completely under the wheel wells. I stick out about 1" beyond the flares. May have to consider flaps, or just trailer the darned thing.

David Bricker / SYR - ORD

I'm running 13.50s that run on the wide end of the spectrum...without any flares.

Honestly, of the 5 years I have gone I have never had a problem. Although, I did end up putting removable mud flaps on for Big Bear and just ran those in Utah. As others have said, if you are not doing anything dumb, you should be fine.

Back