• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove Power Steering Pump Pully?

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All

Thanks for the advice (in another thread) concerning where to get a power steering pump puller.

Before I can use the puller I need to figure out how to unscrew the 3/8" Allen wrenched screw in the center of the power steering pump pully. When I turn this screw the pully and pump rotate (of course!). I need to hold the pully so I can loosen the screw. Pully is plastic...

Anyone know a trick to get the screw out?

Thanks!

It is not a screw, it is the shaft.

No need to remove it, just follow the power streeing pully pullers instructions.

mark

mhead said:
Hi All

Thanks for the advice (in another thread) concerning where to get a power steering pump puller.

Before I can use the puller I need to figure out how to unscrew the 3/8" Allen wrenched screw in the center of the power steering pump pully. When I turn this screw the pully and pump rotate (of course!). I need to hold the pully so I can loosen the screw. Pully is plastic...

Anyone know a trick to get the screw out?

Thanks!

Nope, the allen head doesn't come out. It goes all the way through so you can put the treaded rod of the puller in. There are threads on the other side of the allen head hole.

Okie Terry said:
Nope, the allen head doesn't come out. It goes all the way through so you can put the treaded rod of the puller in. There are threads on the other side of the allen head hole.

Sorry-- don't understand. I'm expecting that the allen screw is used to pull a new pully on and retain it once it is in place. I expect that I must remove the allen screw prior to applying the pulling tool to remove the pully.

I guess you mean that I do not have to remove the allen screw before I use the puller?? If so then I don't see what prevents the pully from comming off the shaft by accident when the engine is running normally...?

Thanks for the help!

The shaft is just pressed on really hard.There is no allen screw, just a hex shaped hole down the shaft. The hex is probably used to keep the shaft from turning when they install the vain on the inside of the pump??

Like Mark said, follow directions.

Dan

Back