NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 15th, 2006, 03:01
NAXJA Forum User

Swapping in a 4.7

Anyone know who's done it? Got pics?

I had an 03 Durango with the 4.7 and the 5spd auto and LOVED the motor. Could buy a wrecked 4wd durango/dakota/ram for cheap and swap everything in. If you did it right you could still keep it federal emissions legal.

Anyone know what transfer case came in these trucks? Was it worth a dam??
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:31
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Swapping in a 4.7

Don't bother. You can build a 4.7 stroker from your existing 4.0 for a lot less money and hassle, and you'll also have more HP/TQ.
If you really want to make a V8 swap worthwhile, go for an engine with a lot more displacement than 4.7L. My choice would be the all-aluminium 5.7L Chevy LS1. They're fairly cheap, plentiful, a good 100lb lighter than the 4.0, and you can get 400hp out of an LS1 without breaking sweat.
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:06
NAXJA Forum User

Hmm good point. What about the hemi??
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:27
NAXJA Forum User

Hemi wont fit in an XJ, at least no one has figured out how to do it yet
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:28
NAXJA Forum User

Hemi wont fit in an XJ, at least no one has figured out how to do it yet. I ask you why do you need that much horsepower? if its for the heck of it, I can understand, if its cause you lost power cause of bigger tires, you are looking in the wrong place, gears are what bring back the power, if its street racing, why race a breadbox...
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:37
Adam Dowling

We had the 4.7 and 545RFE in our last Commander but just traded for a newer one with the hemi.

The 4.7 was a sweet motor and would make a great swap into an XJ if you could make it work.
Old October 15th, 2006, 11:06
NAXJA Forum User

I don't need a massive amount of horsepower, and I'm not a racer. I'm just looking for a cheap way to get some more torque and if someones motor has expired and they can get a good deal on a wrecked truck for parts it might be a cheap way out.

Oh ya and I'm already on 488's.
Old October 15th, 2006, 13:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyracer1
I don't need a massive amount of horsepower, and I'm not a racer. I'm just looking for a cheap way to get some more torque and if someones motor has expired and they can get a good deal on a wrecked truck for parts it might be a cheap way out.

Wow, you must be on huge tires if you don't have enough torque with 4.88s.
Old October 15th, 2006, 18:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

cam it damn it!

throw a nice cam in there and it will change the power curve and make driveablillity with big meats a pleasure.

the 4.0 is an awesome engine it has alot of power that can be unleased with the correct combination of parts.
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Hmm good point. What about the hemi??
The 5.7 Hemi is wide and there's not much clearance from the framerails. It's also more expensive than the Chevy LS1, heavier, and there are fewer aftermarket parts.
If you're looking for a cheap way to get more HP/TQ, copy some of the ideas from my site http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com and hop up your 4.0. If you're still not content, copy my stroker build-up from http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno
Don't bother. You can build a 4.7 stroker from your existing 4.0 for a lot less money and hassle, and you'll also have more HP/TQ.

I call BS.

The OHC 4.7 V-8 is a superior motor in every way to a pushrod 4.7 stroker. Yes, it's a lot less hassle to do a stroker, but I'd MUCH rather have a 4.7 V-8 than my 4.6 stroker.

Stroker's are nice, but not that nice.
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:16
NAXJA Forum User

Hey guys. Long time no post from me....

I agree with the V8 swap. Here is why... I LOVE 4.6/4.7 strokers. Plenty of power, plenty of torque, etc etc... BUT...you also have the build the motor.....

If I had to choose between cleaning up, ordering the right parts, building the motor.... and sorting out a way to mount a v8 in the xj...Ide take the v8 route.

That being said...the ONLY motor I would even consider dropping in my XJ besides a stroker would be an LS1. I just swaped a modified LS1 into my 87 Trans AM. They are GREAT motors, light, very torquey, and get great MPG to boot. The car runs low 11s and I pull close to 22-25mpg avg!! Thats a mix between country roads and highway driving. Also...the wiring is a breeze as they are almost stand alone harnesses. And Ive never owned a motor so easy to keep cool.

Im getting ready to help a buddy put a v8 in his YJ. I think we are leaning towards the 5.3L motors since they are much much cheaper than an Alum. LS1 engine.

Anyway...point is...if you are half decent at working on engines, and you want a quick turn around time...order your parts and build the stroker. Drop it in and go. If you want to spend alittle time with mounts and wiring...probably a transfer case adapter, driveshaft length...etc....go with the V8. It'll be cool either way!!!

Just my .02.

Justin