NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 24th, 2020, 15:34
NAXJA Member

Re: Improving ride on a DPG OME lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTNSUV View Post
Thanks for the reminder. As you well know, I'm all over the place on this. I'd looked at Rusty's earlier and forgot about'em. A great option to dial in the lift height. I'm not looking for a lift number, but a look and feel.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...able-pair.html

Planning on a mild group trail run Sunday so can feel it out with only the lift shackles in place compared to before. Might have an opportunity to hit some tougher stuff offroad. I'll take it from there but if I feel good about the ride and don't see an issue with the OME springs I'll try to leave it as is.

Any concerns with gas tank skid and JCR bumper if/when the SRB go in? As in, getting SRB mounted under the skid mount which is preferred so as to not add even more lift. Not sure if it will change my bumper position. Figure it out when I get there.
So when I did my SRB's (HD Engineering bolt on) I had a gas tank skid and jcr rear bumper and I got lazy and installed them below the skid.

That was a mistake. Yes you can do it. But now if you ever need to drop the tank, you're dropping your rear suspension to do it too. I didn't realize that till about 2 months ago when I needed to drop the tank to drill through the cargo area floor to install my new spare tire mount. Now imagine discovering that issue instead when you need to change a fuel pump right now to get home from a trip (and don't have frame height jack stands, plus two for the axle, all your tools, etc).

That project took way longer than it should have as a result, but now I've got it corrected, SRB's, then skid, then bumper.

Bumper frame tie ins can really go anywher in the order, the JCR tie in plates are designed with a bump up so they can fit a variety of ways without impacting bumper position.
Old November 24th, 2020, 16:01
You Guys ROCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderOffRoad View Post
So when I did my SRB's (HD Engineering bolt on) I had a gas tank skid and jcr rear bumper and I got lazy and installed them below the skid.

That was a mistake. Yes you can do it. But now if you ever need to drop the tank, you're dropping your rear suspension to do it too. I didn't realize that till about 2 months ago when I needed to drop the tank to drill through the cargo area floor to install my new spare tire mount. Now imagine discovering that issue instead when you need to change a fuel pump right now to get home from a trip (and don't have frame height jack stands, plus two for the axle, all your tools, etc).

That project took way longer than it should have as a result, but now I've got it corrected, SRB's, then skid, then bumper.

Bumper frame tie ins can really go anywhere in the order, the JCR tie in plates are designed with a bump up so they can fit a variety of ways without impacting bumper position.
Oh ya, there's that. Glad I asked. What a PITA that would be.

I looked at the JCR plates and saw the bump. Just flip it over for added plate on the bottom?
I've considered cutting a fuel pump access hole/door in the rear floorpan. I'll bet someone here has invented that wheel already. I can see me punching holes from the top to hunt and peck for FP center.

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black
Old November 24th, 2020, 18:49
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTNSUV View Post
Oh ya, there's that. Glad I asked. What a PITA that would be.

I looked at the JCR plates and saw the bump. Just flip it over for added plate on the bottom?
I've considered cutting a fuel pump access hole/door in the rear floorpan. I'll bet someone here has invented that wheel already. I can see me punching holes from the top to hunt and peck for FP center.
I make a lot of mistakes so y’all can learn from them.

Yup just flip the plate over. You can use that bump like you would a spacer to get it to match up in any direction
Old November 24th, 2020, 23:24
NAXJA Member

Improving ride on a DPG OME lift

100% you tire pressure is to high. You should be shooting for 30psi tops. Your tires are part of your suspension. Running them at pressures over 35 makes them like rocks in light vehicles like ours. Drop your pressure and drive it. Youll be surprised i assure you. It will have way more effect on ride quality than any shackle angle or shock. Not to mention it free.

Last edited by GordoSmasho; November 24th, 2020 at 23:30.
Old January 8th, 2021, 08:45
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentroia View Post
My 97 with DPG kit has the OME med springs front and rear with their sport shocks. Goodyear wrangler adventure 31s at 28 lbs. It rides firm but not harsh at all with no added weight on the vehicle. Shackles are stock.

Is thrre binding somewhere? Has everything been loosened and re torqued weighted at ride height? Are bushings tge require lube lubed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
What is current status? I dont think throwing more parts at it is necessary. What you boyght is solid-quality stuff. My 97 rides and handles great on/off road, and I dont consider a jeep that rides like farm equipent acceptable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk