• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys steering/Chevy DRE?

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
Been running a Rusty's steering conversion (Inv T)for a few years now...

it's worked fine for me btw...

Time to replace the joint where the drag link meets the tie rod (DRE)...

I know the tie rod uses stock jeep ends which I already did a while back...

Chances are... I call Rusty's and he'll tell me that it uses a stock Jeep Tie rod end...

The question is... Anyone know if a Dodge 3/4 ton DRE is a replacement?

I did a search here and POR but the only info was on Chevy TRE's...

Anyone know what the thread/pitch on a chevy/rustys DRE is?

Most of the parts stores near me have idiots that won't allow you to compare items off the shelf or even comprehend what i'm trying to do... they need an specific application or a specific parts No...

Any productive info appreciated...

TIA

edit: pros/cons to using a Chevy TRE as a DRE?

Last edited:
I believe the Dodges share the taper but are 3/4-16 vs. the 11/16 (can't remember the tpi, 12 maybe). Chevy's you can get in 3/4 or 7/8, but the taper is larger.

If you want to flip the tie rod over the knuckle (assuming it's not already) I would use the Chevy pieces. Since the taper has to be reversed the major diameter of the Jeep pieces is close to the minor diameter of the Chevy taper it makes reaming the holes easier and no special bushing is required. I believe Chevy has a small and large taper also and I believe you would want the smaller. I'll check later.

If you want to replace the links with stouter pieces only or you used Rusty's setup to flip the tie rod and want stouter links, use the Dodge ends since the 3/4-16 thread is easier to find a tap or weld in bungs for. Don't have to mess with the holes in the knuckle.

If the links have held up for you and your not trashing the joints on a regular basis, just replace what you have. :D

Also if you need the part number for replacements:
TRW - ES140R (right hand thread) and ES140L (left hand thread)

Back