• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud noise from transmission

XJ16FW

NAXJA Forum User
I just got this Cherokee. It has an automatic transmission. It runs fine in drive, or reverse. In park, or neutral it makes a loud growling/grinding noise. Any ideas?

I know pretty much nothing about transmissions, but is the fluid level good on both the aw4 and transfer case?
Is the transfer case shifted fully into whichever setting your trying for?

I know pretty much nothing about transmissions, but is the fluid level good on both the aw4 and transfer case?
Is the transfer case shifted fully into whichever setting your trying for?

The 4WD lever is in the off position. I will check fluid level.

Thanks!

Check that the 4x4 shifter mechanism is properly adjusted. Check the flex plate is free of cracks and the flex plate bolts are properly torqued.

Last edited:
Check that the 4x4 shifter mechanism is properly adjusted. Check the flex plate is free of cracks and the flex bolts are properly torqued.

I may have to wait until it warms up some, the those are good suggestions.

Thanks!

Sounds like flex plate. New fluid couldn't hurt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Check that the 4x4 shifter mechanism is properly adjusted. Check the flex plate is free of cracks and the flex plate bolts are properly torqued.

4x4 shifter shouldn't cause noise in park. Ditto on the flex plate and checking the bellhousing bolts. Could be the exhaust rubbing or hitting something too, Look at the motor mounts and trans mounts while you're under there.

4x4 shifter shouldn't cause noise in park. Ditto on the flex plate and checking the bellhousing bolts. Could be the exhaust rubbing or hitting something too, Look at the motor mounts and trans mounts while you're under there.
Motor and transmission mounts could be the problem. The XJ has over 200,000 miles on it.

Back