• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do you get the rear, upper shock bushings in the shock?

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
Remind me to personally call rusty and thank him for sending me 4 shocks and 8 baggies of parts considting of the bushings and metal bits.

I have all but the rear uppers in. I can't get these in because the fork is too wide to press in with the bushing in place, and the bushing is impossible to push in with the metal tube in it preventing it from collapsing. I've tried freezing, pressing with a clamp, there must be a trick.

They're one piece bushings BTW.

EDIT: Ahh, "bar pin" is the magic search word.

Last edited:
What I did was just to but the bushing in first. Then set the top shock eye on something solid with a slight gap that will let the tip of the bar pin (the fork part) to fit through. I used the picnic table at my parents house because the wood had just the right gap. Lube on the bushing will help here as now just take the bar pin and press it in. A second person helps here as they can hold the shock as you press the bar pin in. There may be a better way to do this but this is what I did and it worked for me.

tgoff said:
What I did was just to but the bushing in first. Then set the top shock eye on something solid with a slight gap that will let the tip of the bar pin (the fork part) to fit through. I used the picnic table at my parents house because the wood had just the right gap. Lube on the bushing will help here as now just take the bar pin and press it in. A second person helps here as they can hold the shock as you press the bar pin in. There may be a better way to do this but this is what I did and it worked for me.
do what he said and make sure you lube the bushing with some wd-40 or light oil and it goes in pretty easy

philip_g said:
Remind me to personally call rusty and thank him for sending me 4 shocks and 8 baggies of parts considting of the bushings and metal bits.

I have all but the rear uppers in. I can't get these in because the fork is too wide to press in with the bushing in place, and the bushing is impossible to push in with the metal tube in it preventing it from collapsing. I've tried freezing, pressing with a clamp, there must be a trick.

They're one piece bushings BTW.

EDIT: Ahh, "bar pin" is the magic search word.

Its a pain . put the bushing in then beat the pin in with a hammer thats the only way i could do it.

Back