NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 10th, 2003, 13:38
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks, new windshield with gasket not trim

So after reading months ago that the newer windshield gasket can be used on the older XJs, I had my windshield replaced and used the gasket. Did not need to remove the tabs that mount the clips, just the clips. Really cleans up the looks, and I'm expecting lower wind noise at speed. Should also solve the leak problem as the urethane sealant surface under the windshield had rusted some. Best part was the total bill was only $140, as the tech threw in the gasket. Thanks for the hint.

signed,
Happy looking through new glass!!!
Old October 11th, 2003, 00:06
NAXJA Forum User

Cool! How about posting some before / after pictures.
Old October 12th, 2003, 12:43
NAXJA Forum User

8991XJ,
I'm planning to do this too.

I searched, and read, but I just want to be clear on this, the 98+ doesn't use any adhesive at all?

Thanks!
Old October 12th, 2003, 18:20
NAXJA Forum User

The windshield is still glued in, the gasket goes around the windshield which is then glued into the body of the rig.

As far as pictures, I just have those of my cars. The Jeep is a Jeep, black faded paint that the next-door neighbor kids are allowed to use as a blackboard. I have pumpkins, a witch, moon, ghost and frankenstein on the hood now. So for an idea about the look, compare the later XJs with a black gasket surrounding the windshield and the older ones with dented, scrached (windshield wiper connecting arms needing Help part number 44995, which will prevent the excess travel), dirty chrome trim.

The black gasket is like the gasket on all the other windows on the unit. Now I guess I need to update the drip rail to black to bring the look together.
Old October 12th, 2003, 18:39
NAXJA Forum User

Great description of your Jeep I'm needing a new windshield on my 93 myself so thanks for the post. BTW, I did my drip rails and I recommend taking them off and either sanding or having them sandblasted before painting. I need to do mine again even though I sanded them and used SEM trim paint. This time I'm going to paint them as well as the drip edge underneath (little rust forming) with some POR15 I have leftover. I can't imagine I'll ever need to do it again.