• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission rebuild or replacement

Aamco's solution to any and every transmission problem, is a rebuild, they don't do diagnostics.

$2400-3500 later, what will your Cherokee be worth ? I am stripping down a 99 for good parts and will be junking the shell. It is broken and will cost more to fix than it would sell for.

Aamco's solution to any and every transmission problem, is a rebuild, they don't do diagnostics.

$2400-3500 later, what will your Cherokee be worth ? I am stripping down a 99 for good parts and will be junking the shell. It is broken and will cost more to fix than it would sell for.

Unfortunately I don’t have good credit to get another vehicle.

Did they do good work? This is my daily driver and they said they could do it in less then a week.

In both instances, I drove them without issues for years.

Considering the price, I would still make some local reference calls!

That may be reality for back east rust buckets, but a rust free XJ out here can easily get over $10K!

Isn't this the case with all XJ's? They cost more to fix than they are worth?:laugh:

Not any more.

Not so long ago one that looked like it was totaled went for over £1,000 on flea-bay (more than I paid for any of mine, all tidy runners) & really nice ones, especially Japanese imports, have hit £20,000 & I thought the trend here was mirroring yours. Funny thing is they generally sell quick enough - but they're a very sighting on the road, even in areas where they were quite popular.

I agree 3 hour comment probly means she's never done any transmission work.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

You don't think you can remove and replace the Transmission in an XJ in 3 hours?

I'm not sure I could R&R a transmission in 3 hours. But I would have to clean everything up in the tunnel, crossmember, mounts etc. before I installed the new one.

If I was strictly yanking one out and putting one back in, maybe I could hit the 3 hour mark.

But as people who know me say: "you sure do work slow, but the work you do it pretty mediocre".:)

You don't think you can remove and replace the Transmission in an XJ in 3 hours?

I have a guy who charges $200 in and out. I'm about to have a trans replaced. Actually, my 2000 XJ's trans at 275K shifts fine. It's that I have one I had rebuilt about 5 years back. So, I had that yanked from an XJ, I'm planning to sell about 6 months back. I think $200 labor and $200 for the replacement trans. The replacement trans shift fine too.
There is a story around here about one of the local JY owners. He has passed away. His son runs it now. But someone bet him he could drop a trans in 1/2 hour to an hour. He was a midnight auto salvage guy. I knew a few people who said they were there. I think I heard 15 minutes, dropped.

I guess much depends on (a) how often you've done it before & (b) how often it's been out/how long since the last time.

Somebody who's never taken one out before is not going to remove one for the 1st time in 20+ years in 3 hours. Obviously a pro. in a shop replacing one under warranty 'cos it failed within 6 months is going to be much quicker.

Living in the real world, as I do, & knowing my limitations (in all areas/respects) I know it's not a job I'd tackle other than over a long weekend.

I guess much depends on (a) how often you've done it before & (b) how often it's been out/how long since the last time.

Somebody who's never taken one out before is not going to remove one for the 1st time in 20+ years in 3 hours. Obviously a pro. in a shop replacing one under warranty 'cos it failed within 6 months is going to be much quicker.

Living in the real world, as I do, & knowing my limitations (in all areas/respects) I know it's not a job I'd tackle other than over a long weekend.

I did talk to the guy I'm having swap the trans. He said it would take 1-1/2 days. Probably a lot of breaks in that time. Also, he is installing a Jasper engine in another XJ. About $3K for the motor.
When I had trans replaced in my Ford Contours, the Dealerships took CC info and stated it would be $1,500 up front. I did have extended warranty on both. One of the warranties was through Ford. So, I do not think the AMMACO's quoted of $3K is out of line for a 'Professional' shop. I just question not taking it to another place and see if they will test the solenoids etc. When I was having issues, my neighbor brought home a reader from the Dealership. Tested all the circuits and sensors except the rear speed sensor. He said it must be the rear speed sensor as everything else test OK. I replaced the rear speed sensor and the trans worked OK.

This is organize my projects on my XJ. If it's potentially going to take some considerable time, I wait until the weekend and do smaller jobs during the week.

Or I may start the process during the week; spraying bolts with penetrating oil, getting tools and equipment ready, cleaning, etc.

Usually I have enough "small" stuff to keep me busy for an hour or so every night and then I put considerably more hours in during the weekend.

A transmission swap for me would be weekend, but during the week, I'd start disconnecting lines and wires, get the vehicle in a position to be able to drop the trans out, remove driveshafts, stuff like that.

I said a holiday weekend on basis it had to be done between work days &, as I've got 2 with the trannies ready to come out but for the torque convertor & bellhousing bolts, I'm not at all confident I could do the job in 2 days.

If the vehicle can be out of commission for an extended period, then I'd probably do it several easy stages, probably no more'n 3, 4 hours at a time (no evenings for me though - work & the Jeeps are 220 miles apart!

Apart from the X-member mountings, & exhaust, of course there's not really much scope fore dousing fasteners in penetrant in advance, although, in principle, it's excellent practice.

Back