• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Actual Measurements of Airflow for Triple Electric Fan Setup

I looked up the Taurus/Volvo fan. Reports on CFM are variable, but it seems that in high speed mode, its pushing at least 3000 cfm. Seems to be very affordable even BNIB. A thread on your setup would be great, even if its just a few photos and some key specs such as MY vehicles and whether you are using the 16" or 18" diameter fan. Would also be great to know the reliability of the fan. I continue to be amazed that a continuously run efan can last more than a few years.

I looked up the Taurus/Volvo fan. Reports on CFM are variable, but it seems that in high speed mode, its pushing at least 3000 cfm. Seems to be very affordable even BNIB. A thread on your setup would be great, even if its just a few photos and some key specs such as MY vehicles and whether you are using the 16" or 18" diameter fan. Would also be great to know the reliability of the fan. I continue to be amazed that a continuously run efan can last more than a few years.

Forgot I had most of these pics uploaded to another forum:

https://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?/forums/topic/4231-rockwoods-xj/

Some of the issue I see is that the SPAL fans are rated at 800 cfm at 12 amps. The Aux Fan for the XJ is 1100 cfm (curves blades) at 24 amps or is it 48 amps. So, a down grade of fans. Two stock fans would put out as much as the 3 fans.

That's just in a single fan open air scenario, though. When you have them mounted in the shroud, the separating vanes will increase their efficiency and effective CFM. They could be putting out as much as 900-1000 CFM each.

I have that exact setup with the first fan on the low stage trigger and the other two on the second stage. Once the engine is up to temp, all three are putting out 100%, so the entire width of the radiator is being cooled at all times as opposed to just the area in front of the mech fan. Sure, the factory setup might put out higher total CFM, but that's only during peak demand which is temporary, unless there's something wrong with the cooling system. Three e-fans should be able to provide nominal cooling just as well if not better if properly set up.

My temp stays right around 200 and just shy of 210 with the A/C on in 90 degree weather, and even off-roading all day it'll just sit at 200 and not even move. Stock spec pump and t-stat, but I did put in a 3-row CSF after my factory rad cracked, and I've got hood vents installed.

That's just in a single fan open air scenario, though. When you have them mounted in the shroud, the separating vanes will increase their efficiency and effective CFM. They could be putting out as much as 900-1000 CFM each.

I have that exact setup with the first fan on the low stage trigger and the other two on the second stage. Once the engine is up to temp, all three are putting out 100%, so the entire width of the radiator is being cooled at all times as opposed to just the area in front of the mech fan. Sure, the factory setup might put out higher total CFM, but that's only during peak demand which is temporary, unless there's something wrong with the cooling system. Three e-fans should be able to provide nominal cooling just as well if not better if properly set up.

My temp stays right around 200 and just shy of 210 with the A/C on in 90 degree weather, and even off-roading all day it'll just sit at 200 and not even move. Stock spec pump and t-stat, but I did put in a 3-row CSF after my factory rad cracked, and I've got hood vents installed.

Thanks for the info. I do have the CSF 3-row. I was running 210 with the A/C on a road trip last week. Coming back, the clutch fan bearing spit its cookies. Removed the clutch and fan, bolted it up and made it back. Have the bearing ordered. At this point, I'll install the SPAL 10" 3 e-fan setup. See how it does. This build is mainly on road. So, even is lower CFM, then I still should be OK.
I did see an XJ at Carlisle with 2 electric fans in the front. It had an all aluminum radiator. The hood was closed. Also, scoping the LS swaps. Two MJs and an XJ. All of them looked well executed.

Back