• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock on warm up

Hotwire

NAXJA Forum User
When I start it cold, it starts right up, its smooth idle, no knock or even a tick, Sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADNPDNe_7tc

The guages show a smooth idle, Good / consistant oil pressure, and the fact that you can barely hear the engine running is a bit of a testiment to the situation (the doors and hood are all open), But when it warms up, the oil pressure drops, and it starts to tick then rattle at idle. Its not a constant tick or rattle, only when the pressure dips. If I bring the RPM's up, the oil pressure becomes steady and rises as it should.

On a hot start there is a bad rattle for a second then it goes away, but the oil pressure fluctuates a lot, and when the pressure dips, it starts to tick, rattle and clack.

My first thought is to do a rod and crank bearing refresh, check the oil pump, and pick up.

I just bought this, its got a fresh oil change by the previous owner, as well as a fresh valve cover gasket.. thats weeping. I have a feeling its hiding some nasties.

Any suggestions?

Post a vid of the noise!

Back