• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare ISsues

jidaran

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all

First post here. Wanted to thank everyone involved in this forum, it's been incredibly helpful over the last few months with a number of repairs and issues. I've recently run into one I can't find any previous threads about.

Back in August, the lady and I bought a 01 XJ Sport. The guy we bought it from had lifted it and thrown on some 16" Wrangler rims and 30" Grabbers (255/70R16). The jeep still had the OEM spare in the back, but he gave us the spare rim from the Wrangler set as well (with no tire).

Now that winter is upon us, I figured I should get a proper full sized spare to keep in the back. I got another Grabber on amazon and took it to the shop with the spare rim, and..... lo and behold, the spare rim is a 15".

Is this usual? I always figured Wranglers (or really any other vehicle that carries the tire on the hatch) carried full size spares (both rim and tire). Now that I'm looking closer, the rims on the jeep are a different model than the spare. I guess this guy just handed me a random jeep rim?

kn88ccJ6ahGMV1X48

UvBWtGZtPaNVZE3e9

So now I'm left with two options - return the tire, order a new one that fits the 15" rim (255/75R15) and get that installed. Or try to track down a used 16" Wrangler rim at a reasonable price (hopefully <$50) to go with the tire I already have.

Is there any disadvantage to using a 15" spare? If we had to use it on a road trip, would the difference in weight (however minor) between spare and the other wheels effect the ride at all?

attempting embed again. apologies for all these posts. still figure out how this forum works and apparently you can't deleted / edit anything on here.

6nfIGta.jpg

NbT02kH.jpg

Find a new or used 16" rim with matching bolt pattern and offset. Used Wrangler 16" steel rims should be low cost and easy to find.

attempting embed again. apologies for all these posts. still figure out how this forum works and apparently you can't deleted / edit anything on here.

Yeah, those are different rims. The spare one looks like the stock OEM 15" Rim. Maybe the guy mixed up one of the OEM wheels with the spare 16" Wrangler he thought he was giving you. They should be relatively cheap used if you shop around on CL.

I'd buy the 15" OEM rim from you if you were in SoCal, I'm actuallylooking for one myself for a second spare, but it's probably not worth shipping them all over the country haha

Back