NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 10th, 2019, 14:54
NAXJA Forum User

Exclamation Aw-4 trans question

So Saturday I picked up a 98 xj and knowing it had trans issues, the price was good enough for me to pull the trigger.

The issue is with the auto trans, itís an aw-4, and when it is put in drive, it starts out in what feels like 3rd. And wonít go into 1st unless you physically put it in 1st on the gear selector, and then manually go through the gears as you get going.

My questions, is this a solenoid issue or a TCM issue?
How can I troubleshoot the issue to tell?

I do have a line on a rebuilt aw-4 from a friend (same year trans, made sure of that) as this one has (presuming) 270k miles on it. I just donít want to do A tranny swap if I donít have to.

Thanks guys.
Old September 10th, 2019, 15:37
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Aw-4 trans question

If you disconnect the TCM and shift the trans 1-2-3-OD with the floor shifter, and the results seem normal, it is very likely the trans and solenoids are fine, and the TCM or some kind of wiring harness issues is the cause of the symptoms. A search on Google will find an AW-4 Service Manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old September 10th, 2019, 18:33
NAXJA Forum User

Have you pulled codes yet? Any P7xx codes?

If it's starting in 4th gear with the shifter in (D) and shifts with the shifter then the likely issues are 1) the trans computer has no power (check fuses), 2) damaged wiring (check the wiring at the trans computer and where it runs down the firewall to the trans), 3) or a bad shift solenoid (measure the resistance on the wires at the trans computer).

A bad trans computer is possible, but the least likely and I've only heard of a few confirmed cases where replacing the trans computer solved the problem.
Old September 11th, 2019, 05:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
Have you pulled codes yet? Any P7xx codes?

If it's starting in 4th gear with the shifter in (D) and shifts with the shifter then the likely issues are 1) the trans computer has no power (check fuses), 2) damaged wiring (check the wiring at the trans computer and where it runs down the firewall to the trans), 3) or a bad shift solenoid (measure the resistance on the wires at the trans computer).

A bad trans computer is possible, but the least likely and I've only heard of a few confirmed cases where replacing the trans computer solved the problem.
Also, when my XJ did that i.e. started out in 3rd gear the shift solenoids were the culprit. You could take an ohm reading by probing the wires in the connector close to the firewall on the passenger side. In my case, the solenoid for 1 was dead and for 2 was intermittent.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old September 11th, 2019, 08:09
NAXJA Forum User

So the XJ isnít growing any codes at all so I donít know about the codes at all.
Thanks for the insight as to where to look for troubleshooting. Iíll get on those as soon as I can get time off work to crawl under there.
Old September 11th, 2019, 08:56
NAXJA Forum User

This might help explain why a bad #1 solenoid causes you to start in 4th.

1st gear - Solenoid 1 is engaged
2nd gear - Both 1 and 2 solenoids are engaged
3rd gear - Solenoid 2 is engaged
4th gear - Neither solenoid is engaged