• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Basic overhaul on a newly purchased XJ

jtkratzer

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my first Jeep over the weekend...a '96 XJ 4.0L 5 speed. I love it, I've liked the Cherokee for a long time and it just hasn't been practical in the past.

Any suggestions on parts/filters/etc to check on/replace? I intend to change the spark plugs, this week. They don't look very fresh. Any suggestion on those?

It has a new O2 sensor, new muffler and catalytic converter. The air filter looks brand new. Odometer reads 187,000. Seems to run perfectly. I bought this vehicle to use for hunting/fishing, use during the winter, occasional camping trip, and light off road use. I don't intend to modify it much at this point. It's basically a third vehicle.

I've mostly driven BMWs and I'm used to performace car parts, not truck parts.

The shop I work with for my other cars have three mechanics that all drive Jeeps and they're going to put it on a lift and go over everything on Tuesday.

A couple pictures:
DSCN2573.jpg

DSCN2575.jpg

DSCN2572.jpg

dang thats pretty, I was gonna say I remember when mine was that clean, but I can't.

If its running fine I don't see any need for anything else than the new plugs if you say they look rough. If it ain't broke why fix it?

Someone will chime in with more advice if its warranted, but if you don't get any replies I would expect you don't need to do much if anything.

wow that is clean!! that engine bay is super clean!! but i would say maybe just a tune up? plugs,wires,cap, etc.

tclapp_88 said:
uh, what? i dont get it. :dunno:
Do I have to make mine look like that for a basic once over on things?

Carfax was clean, and I'm the second owner. It was a corporate/company vehicle on a lease. It looks like it was well taken care of and because of it being a corporate lease, I'm assuming the company didn't shy away at all from the regular maintenance.

jtkratzer said:
Do I have to make mine look like that for a basic once over on things?

i just don't understand why that dude posted that picture in your thread about your new to you XJ. haha :dunno:

get a K&N filter for it and run a can of seafoam through it.

WaXJ_Skier said:
get a K&N filter for it and run a can of seafoam through it.

I have 4 cans of seafoam that I haven't used yet. I have heard several different ways to run it through. Is there a standard procedure?

I've heard a can through the gas tank on the last 2 gallons of gas, a partial can in the crankcase on the last 100 or 200 miles before an oil change, and I've heard using an intake tube to actually suck it right out of the can through the engine.

About the K&N filters, I've heard quite a bit about them not filtering enough, but that was primarily the cone filters in BMWs.

Take the tube off the throttle body and slowly pour half a can in(engine running). Turn it off and let it sit for about 10-15 then turn the engine on and rev it. Watch smoke.

Nice one. I have a green 96 4.0 ax15 also. How much? My next major purchase is gonna be a 95-97 m3.

gradon said:
Nice one. I have a green 96 4.0 ax15 also. How much? My next major purchase is gonna be a 95-97 m3.

I just sold a 318ti with the M package and I still have a 525i. I love BMWs, but without traction control, they're borderline worthless when the roads are white.

The 3 had traction control and was amazing in the snow, but it's a long, nightmare-ish story why I had to get rid of it.

Back