• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My attempt at Rocker Replacement w/sliders

waxer

JEEP APPRENTICE
Staff member
NAXJA Member
Well I'm just about done with these, will have the rest of it done tomorrow. I could have gone with the bolt on option that causes you to lose some ground clearance, so instead I opted to go with the cut out sheet metal rockers and replace with rec tubing method.

Material used: 2"x4"x3/16" and 1.5" HREW .120 wall

Old rockers cut out..
DSC05393.JPG

DSC05394.JPG

DSC05399.JPG

DSC05400.JPG

Measuring for rec tubing size to allow for round tubing slider.
DSC05403.JPG

Rec tubing welded in, round tubing slider also welded on.
DSC05414.JPG

DSC05411.JPG

DSC05421.JPG

DSC05422.JPG

DSC05423.JPG

DSC05425.JPG

DSC05430.JPG

I still gotta add some cross bracing for the slider, but I'll get to that by the end of the week.

Last edited:
People ask "What are the best sliders?"
You just showed them!

very nice! excuse my stupid question, but how are they attached? is that bead running along the top of the rail the only thing holding them on? i cant tell from the pics, but maybe im not looking hard enough ;)

looks very good man, nice work!

GrimmJeeper said:
very nice! excuse my stupid question, but how are they attached? is that bead running along the top of the rail the only thing holding them on? i cant tell from the pics, but maybe im not looking hard enough ;)

looks very good man, nice work!

They are welded top and bottom. Top where you already commented on, and on the bottom near the pinch seam.

I was thinking about adding some angle that bolts to the pinch seam and welding that directly to the bottom of the 2 x 4, so that it ties in better.

Frank Z said:
How about a pic or two wthe the doors open.

This is the same mod I'm planning for this winter but I may add boatsides as well.

DSC05431.JPG

DSC05433.JPG

DSC05434.JPG

DSC05436.JPG

IntrepidXJ said:
if you only attach to the sheet metal, they will not survive more than a couple hard hits. i tied mine into he cage and others have tied them into the framerails. that's the only way to go IMO

I've anticipated that too. I do plan on tying it in to the frame rails, but I wanted to add to the frame rails first.

The sliders will be one mounting point for the exo-cage I plan on doing by next summer.

So stay tuned...

Just out of curiousity, have you seen someone who has not tied into the frame with similar rockers and they have failed?

I'm no engineer, but I do know that once they are fully welded in like mine are, even though to sheet metal, they spread the load of the impact along the whole rail. It'd take one hell of a hit to cause these to fail, but I do see your point, and as stated above do plan on adding additional bracing.

Wow, thats amazing... oh and the rockers turned out great too. I was just blwon away at what really clean looking original rockers look like, as mine were mostly gone when I cut them off.
Really impressive job you did there.
If you don't mind, what did you use to weld the sliders to the sheet metal with? I have a 110 MIG here and am getting ready to burn them in, been workin on welding thicker metals to much thinner ones, feel good about it, but time will tell.
From looking at other sites it seems many just attached to the body with no other bracing. Maybe some 2x2 on top of the 2x4 to brace to the door steps. I would think bracing to the frame rails wouldn't hurt tho, I am thining of doing this to add some strength to mine since there isn't much pinch seam to attach too.

Either way great work man, as stated above, 'best rockers' out there.

VERY nice,
whenever people ask about easy/cheap sliders, someone says cut out rockers, replace with steel... as if it is so simple...

your post shows how simple it can be,
good work
im inspired

waxer said:
Just out of curiousity, have you seen someone who has not tied into the frame with similar rockers and they have failed?

I'm no engineer, but I do know that once they are fully welded in like mine are, even though to sheet metal, they spread the load of the impact along the whole rail. It'd take one hell of a hit to cause these to fail, but I do see your point, and as stated above do plan on adding additional bracing.

Mine are similar to your with a few differences.

I used 2x4 .25 tubing for the rockers
L 1x1 .120 to tie into the pinch seam (plug welds)
2x2 .120 tubing running the full length below the door sill and above the rocker tube, plug welded to the door sills under the plastic sill plates.

I hit my passenger side pretty good and it bent the entire rocker upward about 1/8 of an inch, enough to break the fiberglass and filler that was used to clean up the seams. I'm going to be adding braces between the rockers and "frame".

You really need something above them to tie them into the B pillar and door sills.

waxer said:

yep, sure have.

fatwreck.....his got pushed up so he couldn't open and close his doors until he beat them back down

also, mine. even though mine were tied into my cage, i was lazy and never got around to tying my cage into the framerail. after a few hard hits, my floor was buckling

there's a few others I have seen pushed up, too

IntrepidXJ said:
yep, sure have.

fatwreck.....his got pushed up so he couldn't open and close his doors until he beat them back down

also, mine. even though mine were tied into my cage, i was lazy and never got around to tying my cage into the framerail. after a few hard hits, my floor was buckling

there's a few others I have seen pushed up, too

10-4...

Yes I definitely will plan on tying those in to the frame rails then, along with a few other things.

Thanks for the helpful feedback

maybe just me... but you should have cut up just another 1/2inch or so

Looks great though, great job and way to start cutting.

You notice how much stiffer the XJ is now? get some unibody stiffeners and it will make even more of a difference.

now go slam them on some rocks ;)

nice job...i had mine done a few weeks ago and kinda wish I did it my self, however for those that are about to do this, you may want to bring the upper weld in closer to conseal it, if you care about looks

If you want them to be truly indestructible, place some FOX Racing stickers on them. That mod alone will add 15 horsepower as well as beef up your new rocker replacements.

Hale

Back