• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tail lights won't turn off!

J33PsRock

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

First of all, I love this forum!!! I have found many answers and I am grateful. One thing I don't seem to find is anything about my 90 XJ tail lights not turning off. I recently changed my headlights, but I think this happened after that. I just put on the SilverStar(?) Sylvanias (6054) but a day or two later I noticed when I turn off my lights, the tail lights are still on.

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks.

Hmm, doubt its related to the new headlights, sounds like a short somewhere, I think I would start with the headlight switch cause chasing wire shorts is a pita. Wish I could help you more, good luck.

May just be a coincidence but I put in silverstars, had to replace the light switch the next night, also read a post where another guy did the same. Have to say the lights are great though.

you sure its your tail lights and not your brake lights? ive had more then one brake light switch stick on, in all the cars ive owned.

Well, not sure if it's the brake lights...don't think so. When I hit the brakes, it gets brighter...

Anyway, these are good ideas. I will be checking on it tomorrow, after I charge the battery:(

Thanks for the input.

try pulling up on the brake pedal itself. i know my dads chevy pickup has a problem with that. the brake lights will stay on unless you pull up on the brake pedal. i guess the contact has gotten old and corroded, and it wont shut off all the time.

There is a switch on the brake pedal with 2 connectors IIRC. One activates the brake lights, the other kills the cruise control, I think. If you don't need cruise, just unplug that one. Your lights should go off. Double check to make sure your brake lights still function normally. I have been running with the cruise half unplugged, and I don't have any problems. I never use cruise, though. I don't think the switch is too expensive if you just want to replace it.

Well, I think I fixed it, but I don't know how I did it!!! I noticed that the plug to my hood light was unplugged. I plugged it back in and my wife says "Check it now...see if the tail lights are off now." I did and ever since plugging that back in it has worked. Hate that my wife had to be there to witness that :) but glad it is fixed.

Does any one know how that could have happened? Maybe coincidence? Maybe something else, like what cherokee89 said. My cruise control has stopped working also, maybe I will check that brake pedal thing.

Thanks

Back