• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Probing solenoids thru TCM/fluid screwup?

DonQuiXJote

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, 2000 XJ with AW4. I'm currently chasing down the source of a P0740 code and before I try to drop the pan and start swapping in new solenoids, I want to make sure it's even necessary to drop the pan at all considering I haven't ever dropped a transmission pan and I'm wary of that dipstick tube busting, the solenoid wires snapping, etc. My current best guess is either the TC lockup solenoid is bad OR the transmission only got ATF+4 before I got it and started putting Dex/Merc in it (CEL cut on roughly six months after first ~2 qt drain/fill). After scrolling a lot of threads on the subject Dex/Merc seemed to have the plurality of recommendations in its favor, but I've done stupider things with less advice so I probably screwed up. Do I keep doing drain/fills with Dex/Merc or am I going to need it flushed completely before refilling? What's my best course of action here?

If I somehow didn't screw up with the fluid, confirming it's the solenoid has been a pain. I disconnected and isolated the negative battery terminal, unplugged the TCM and used safety pins, as the probes on the meter won't fit in the pinholes. I'm using a little analog multimeter (image at bottom of post) which I zeroed out with the probes touching. Using this chart and procedures:

307292d1501210009-how-test-solenoids-without-dropping-pan-tcmpinout.jpg

307293d1501210009-how-test-solenoids-without-dropping-pan-tcmchecks.jpg

I probed CAV 24 with the (+) and it read exactly 0. I then used CAV 24 as the ground and checked CAVs 11 thru 13 as directed and on the x10 Ohm setting each one hits the "1" mark identically. Does this mean they all read about 10 Ohms? My landlord lent me an older, more intricate multimeter (on right in pic at bottom of post) and when I try to zero it, the needle only moves when I've got it on Rx10,000 and only adjusts between about the "2" and "5" marks on the meter. I'm a little bit of a dunce when it comes to EE- how do I get this thing to work? Apologies if this is all TMI or if I'm missing something obvious. Thanks!

Multimeters: https://ibb.co/G9fGCk9

Simpson's are as good as it gets if the batteries are good and it has been "calibrated"!

Back