• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA catalytic converters and EFN

steventure

NAXJA Forum User
For you Cali jeepers with out of state vehicles, anyone else have issues matching their EFN to the converters listed on the CA catalytic converter database? The number on the sticker under the hood is VCR4.028GFEK.
When I search the database for a new CAT using year,make, model and engine all parts come up with the same EFN VCR24218G1EK
Mine is a 97 Cherokee 4.0

I'm not sure where you see that. I also see:

VCR24228G1EK
VCR24228G1EL
VCR24228G2JK

Mine doesn't have an engine family (1988). I looked at Magnaflow's site for CA cats and only see the one you posted earlier and the 3 listed here.

Not sure what else to tell you.

I'm not sure where you see that. I also see:

VCR24228G1EK
VCR24228G1EL
VCR24228G2JK

Mine doesn't have an engine family (1988). I looked at Magnaflow's site for CA cats and only see the one you posted earlier and the 3 listed here.

Not sure what else to tell you.

Well my vehicle has federal emissions. Which is why it’s EFN won’t match up I guess. Not a CA certified vehicle.

If your location is indeed Indiana, why on earth are you trying to comply with Kalizuela's draconian rules?

Sitting on a concrete slab, smashing sensitive parts of your anatomy with a hammer would be equally pleasant while costing substantially less.

--Spoken as a Kalizuela refugee

If your location is indeed Indiana, why on earth are you trying to comply with Kalizuela's draconian rules?

Sitting on a concrete slab, smashing sensitive parts of your anatomy with a hammer would be equally pleasant while costing substantially less.

--Spoken as a Kalizuela refugee

Because I’ll be a CA resident in a few weeks.

Well my vehicle has federal emissions. Which is why it’s EFN won’t match up I guess. Not a CA certified vehicle.

Ah, that's makes sense now. Since you left out that detail before, I'll just as a few more questions.

Does it have a fully functioning cat now?

Are you subject to smog testing where you live or work now? (Lake or Porter counties). If so, does it pass?

If you are not subject to smog testing, can you get it smogged while still in IN?

Are you in the military with PCS orders to CA?

Ah, that's makes sense now. Since you left out that detail before, I'll just as a few more questions.

Does it have a fully functioning cat now?

Are you subject to smog testing where you live or work now? (Lake or Porter counties). If so, does it pass?

If you are not subject to smog testing, can you get it smogged while still in IN?

Are you in the military with PCS orders to CA?

My mistake for leaving that out. The current cat is toast and needs to be replaced. The vehicle is currently in Indiana, registered to me, and I will be driving it to California in the next couple weeks. It passed smog last year, but it probably wouldn’t pass right now. No I am not military.

After much research this is what I have come up with. Being a federal emissions vehicle I won’t be able to match an EFN number with a carb compliant converter. I will still require a carb compliant converter with an EO number that is valid and hasn’t been withdrawn. But I believe that is for CA residents?
So what I’m still curious about is if i have the cat replaced in Indiana with a non carb compliant model, will I be able to register it in CA.
Or maybe just save myself the headache, cough up the cash and just buy a carb compliant model. I emailed the CA carb helpline these questions so I’ll see if I get a response.

No. Don't go buy another vehicle. "Federal Emissions" are the holy grail in Kali.

If you put on a cat which has a CARB EO number for your model year you should be fine. To be really sure, try sending a PM to Cal. He has a Federal XJ (I think 2000 or 2001-- Federal got him out of the pre-cats). I think Cal would be the most reliable information you could hope to get. Dallas at SFR probably knows all this equally well. Getting answers from the public servants in Kali? Well, that is a roll of the dice, with odds against. Every now and then you find a unicorn on the Kali payroll.

If it were me, I would wait until you are actually in Kali before replacing the cat. That way you will have it done by a shop that Kali approves of (I swear, they come up with the most ridiculous excuses to reject an honest effort). And keep the receipt for the work, showing it was done by a legit shop in Kali. Just because it was legal this year doesn't mean they won't change the rules on you and decide it isn't legal two years down the road (BTDT).

Once you get to Kali try to find a competent shop (folks on NAXJA can probably help with that--post an inquiry in whatever chapter will be home to you) and make arrangements to replace the cat. Given the supply chain you may want to do this sooner rather than later so that you don't find yourself in trouble because no one can lay hands on an approved cat.

Having a Federal Emissions vehicle in Kali is to your benefit, not the other way around. If you could take two to Kali and sell one you might do well. "Might" being dependant on the amount of rust you bring along with you.

Thanks for the advice. No I’m not getting another vehicle or selling this one. I’ve put too much blood sweat and tears in to it. Also it came from Texas so it’s for the most part rust free, and gets garaged in the winter. But thanks for the tips

Hmmm.. So I'm thinking the other way. Get a Federal Cat that matches your jeep before you bring it here. Lot's of folks move here from other states with Federal Emissions. You'll still have to get it smogged.

Problem would be buying a Federal Cat while you're in CA. If your IN address is still valid, you can ship one there.

I know how you feel. My '88 just passed smog today (whew!). I've had it for almost 22 years and get very anxious around renewal time. Paint is faded and has some light surface patina (ok, rust) but runs great.

Hmmm.. So I'm thinking the other way. Get a Federal Cat that matches your jeep before you bring it here. Lot's of folks move here from other states with Federal Emissions. You'll still have to get it smogged.

Problem would be buying a Federal Cat while you're in CA. If your IN address is still valid, you can ship one there.

I know how you feel. My '88 just passed smog today (whew!). I've had it for almost 22 years and get very anxious around renewal time. Paint is faded and has some light surface patina (ok, rust) but runs great.

I contemplated that. But I’ve read that for people moving in to California from out of state, with federal emissions vehicles, will pass smog if the catalytic converter is OE, installed at the factory. If at anytime the cat was replaced it will not pass visual inspection. But it’s also confusing if vehicles prior to a certain year are exempt. I feel they keep it very confusing for a reason, just to get you to comply. Which I probably will end up doing. Hey it’s only money right…

I contemplated that. But I’ve read that for people moving in to California from out of state, with federal emissions vehicles, will pass smog if the catalytic converter is OE, installed at the factory. If at anytime the cat was replaced it will not pass visual inspection.

That is exactly what I would expect.

And that is why I suggest waiting until you are in Kali and can have it installed by a Kali shop so that you have a receipt for it with a date that establishes the fact that you had that particular cat installed when it was legal for Kali. Because those illegitimate offspring of female dogs love nothing more than changing the rules on folks. I had the smog rules changed on me several times in Kali. At one point I even had to have my '55 Cadillac smogged in order to register it. That was absolutely silly. My '68 Camaro went back and forth several times between needing to pass smog and not needing to.

If you think you are going to need to play their games for a while then make sure you keep a good paper trail.

Back