• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 xj overheats when is humid out. suggestions?

xjrhd07

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 xj that runs hot when it is humid out. granted i am going off the temperature gage inside, but it runs normally when it is not humid out. any suggestions would be helpful.

Almost all xj overheating is due to one or both of two sources. #1 bad thermostat. #2 (and most likely,) the radiator is just plain clogged. A stock, clean, fully functional cooling system is more than adequate to cool a stock xj in essentially all situations. Sure, a sloppy, wore out viscous fan coupler will not help the situation but as long as the auxiliary fan comes on like it should it will still cool. For reasons that have never been scientifically explained, (although many have theories,) xjs just eventually turn coolant into mud and clog up the tiny tubes in the radiator. You can try flushing it with all sorts of fancy chemicals but your best bet is a new cheapo radiator from the zone. The expensive ones do not fair any better in my experience.

Almost all xj overheating is due to one or both of two sources. #1 bad thermostat. #2 (and most likely,) the radiator is just plain clogged. A stock, clean, fully functional cooling system is more than adequate to cool a stock xj in essentially all situations. Sure, a sloppy, wore out viscous fan coupler will not help the situation but as long as the auxiliary fan comes on like it should it will still cool. For reasons that have never been scientifically explained, (although many have theories,) xjs just eventually turn coolant into mud and clog up the tiny tubes in the radiator. You can try flushing it with all sorts of fancy chemicals but your best bet is a new cheapo radiator from the zone. The expensive ones do not fair any better in my experience.

It may be due to the composition of the iron used for the 4.0L block and head. It may be very low alloy, making it more prone to corrosion. Yearly coolant changes should minimize this issue though.

I just see that you have rhd in your handle, I have a rhd too and if you are handy you can adapt a lhd radiator to avoid paying the crazy rhd price. Easier on your tranny too.

Back