• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another CA Smog post!

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
(Spoiler alert).. But this time it passed.

My '88 usually doesn't fair well on smog checks. Typically I get it tested, it fails. I use the readings to determine what I need to do so I order just what's necessary. Get it done, go back and usually pass.

Two years ago, it came up as a Gross Polluter. Actually took quite a bit to get it to pass but pass it did. Apparently, the things I did held up well over the past 2 years. Bear in mind I've driven it slightly less than 2K miles since my last smog. Today it passed on the first try (first time since 2012!). In fact, the guy told me (and the numbers show) it runs really clean.

Now, I did run some seafoam through it earlier today and blasted around town for 30-40 min afterwards to clear it out. Let it sit for 2 hours, then back out again for another 30 min and off to the smog check.

I'm pleased it passed first time but a bit surprised at how low the numbers are given it's smog history. Anyway, here's the numbers.

hnJhBqbh.jpg

Cat was changed in 2014.

Last time (2020), I did quite a bit. New distributor, IAC, O2, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, went back to stock injectors. I also had a wiring problem with #3 injector. Replaced all the injector connectors and found a bad ground splice in the main harness for #3. Also cleaned the C101 connector and adjusted the TPS. Found a small vac leaks. Ran some seafoam through it.

This time just a TPS adjustment, and some seafoam, more as a precaution.

Back