• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE/CV SOLUTION??

I have a 93 XJ with a Rusty's 4.5" kit. Included with this kit are the shims for the rear and a 1" transfer case drop.

Currently, I am experiencing a noticable vibration in the 30-35 and 50-55 mph ranges. Obviously I have been seeking all the help I can get, and I have come to the point where I need to figure out the cost effectiveness of my upcoming decision.

The overwhelming majority of people tell me to do the sye kit with a cv driveshaft. And I will not argue that it's the route I would take if money weren't an object at this point in my life.

OK, I'll cut the crap...since I do NOT see any extreme offroading in the near future, I can't see a need for me to purchase the sye kit, BUT would it be possible to simply purchase a custom cv driveshaft and have it be the answer to all my prayers??

not really. because you'll still have the slip yoke going into the transfer case as well as the slip shaft. would make for one weird setup. the fixed shaft itself isn't your vibration issue. its the angle of your pinions/ujoints.

when people do sye's they get a cv driveshaft because: a. you get a fixed yoke double cardon joint at the TC. this is a plus if you ever brake a driveshaft and need to drive home on the front. with a slip yoke you can't do that.

B. the double cardon joint is whats gonna limit the vibrations. not the slip in the shaft.

Well I had Arizona Drivelines build my drive shaft. Call them and tell them your situation. I have a slip yoke and cv shaft on my 91 and it worked perfect for my needs. But it also cost about 250 to the door. i had a 4.5 inch lift too.

old thread from a search but I also was wondering if anyone else ran a similair setup to Ifrfirefighter. I saw the slip yoke/cv shaft and was wondering if others had used it insted of a hack n tap or sye kit. It puts he double cardon joint in but retains the standard slip yoke. Comments

I did on my 01 when I had 4.5" lift. Spent 300 for a modified shaft with double cardan and original slip yoke. Worked like dog crap. Vibes at a couple of points below 70. But since it was lifted, I didn't do too much 70MPH driving, didnt stop all that well.
I bit the bullet and put in a AA HD SYE and Tom Woods shaft. Still used a 3 degree shim on the rear but the vibes were gone.
Just my experience.

Please ignore my ignorance here, but it's bugging the crap out of me that I don't know what an SYE is and what it stands for... everyone here says you need it for a lift larger then 3-4" usually, and that's all I know. I've tried searching, but all I get is a ton of threads relating to lifts, but none explain the SYE itself at all...

Thanks guy,
Mark

Thanks Daffy the more I read I can see the wisdom in not goin this direction. For the extra money I can seal the transfer case with the sye kit and drive with the front only shft in an emergency. Using this option that wouldn't be possible. I guess also from other reading and research you still have the problem of a long weak tailshaft from the transfer. I guess I will bite the bullet and get the sye kit from PORC. Anyone know if a stock front drvieshaft from an xj or something similar work wth a 3.5 in RE lift. I haven't done the lift yet tying to get everything in place first so I can't measure my shaft till lifted.

hey Caveman how much room do you have left to play with. I am considering going with the short sye which shortens it by about 3 inches. Will that still work with the front shaft or would extend it to far? Thanks

Maybe we're talking about different things, but the SYE kits are for the rear driveshaft only...the stock front shaft (NP 231/242) is fixed yoke/CV driveshaft already. Anyway, mine has worked fine through all kinds of flexing -- still smooth and tight, no "crunchy" feel at the joints. I'm upgrading to a Tom Woods only to give me absolute peace of mind out in the rocks...but I still carry spare joints, just in case. The rear WILL need a longer shaft -- Best to bite the bullet a get the SYE/Custom shaft combo from the vendor of your choice...Not cheap, but worth every nickel.

I believe he's talking about doing an SYE then using a junkyard pull front driveshaft in the rear.
I've read about explorer front shafts being longer. Mind you I have no personal experience with this, as my driveshaft is about 6 feet long :)

D'oh! My bad. My front shaft measures 30 1/8" from yoke center-to-yoke center, with about 1 inch of spline showing...no idea (yet) how much spline is tucked away inside. The custom-length rear, with the Advance Adapters SYE, is 34 1/8", with 3-4 inches of spline showing. A front shaft might work, depending on the SYE you choose...talk to the manufacturer - They should know for sure.

Back