• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise from the engine compartment

ericz

NAXJA Lifetime Member
NAXJA Member
I have a 99 XJ, automatic. A noise has developed. It does not appear to be from the belt but rather from the rear passenger side of the engine compartment.(although I could be mistaken)
It usually works itself out after a few minutes - before I can track it down.
The noise is difficult to describe, it is similar to a belt squeeking but deeper in tone. Almost like something rubbing.

it happens with the air conditioning off and on.

Thats all the info I can think of at the moment.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
EricZ

Does it change with engine speed?

One way to rule out belt noise--pour water on the belt while it's running. Water will actually quiet down the belt for a couple of minutes, and then, as it dries, return.

It didn't seem to change speed.

The noise started at idle them went away until I reved the engine and it came back for a minute while I was driving then went away.

It has been quite for a day now.

Well see...

mines doing the same thing. i replaced the belt, this weekend im replacing the waterpump and thermostats as well as flushing hte system i will let you know it the water pump fixes it unless anyone else has any ideas. im gonna chekc hte rest of the pulleys we'll i got the belt off.

mine is also doing the same thing squeaky sound on the right side of the engine compartment when aircon is engaging, my mechanic told me that it could be coming from the aircon clutch i dont know how to test this before spending much on replacing the clutch

Back