• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head bolt: Water jacket question

Henrique - RS

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,
My name is Henrique and I'm from Brazil. I use my cherokee for light wheeling only (that doesn't mean that the right pedal won't be hitting the floor a lot).

Last trail we made, my jeep arrived home with the temp just a hair higher than 212 and I know that is not a problem on a pressurized system.

The problem was that after I turned it off, water started to spill out of the expansion reservoir, meaning that it boiled. After it stopped, I slowly opened the radiator cap and filled with coolant and I haven't wheeled again yet.

I also think that my exhaust drips too much water, but I don't have bubbles in my coolant nor water in my oil.
So I've been wondering... If my jeep has been serviced before (by a moron) and that bolt that we all know that has to be teflon-sealed is NOT sealed, couldn't it cause my symptons?

If so, is it safe for me just to remove that bolt alone so I can check if it has been propperly sealed? I'm afraid that removing that one bolt without touching on the others could mess with the head itself.

Thanks and sorry for the large text.

Do you have coolant bubbling out of the front exhaust manifold bolt or out of the front, right head bolt? (#11)

If so, the head bolt's threads were not coated in a waterproof sealant, as prescribed in the FSM.
If it were me, I would pull the head bolt, coat it threads with sealant and reinstalled, torquing it to 100 ft/lbs.
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-3739...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002KKTHC
I do not have any coolant bubbling out of anywhere. I tought the bolt had something to do with coolant running through the exhaust, not on the bolt itself. Guess I'm good then.

I'll try changing the rad cap next.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Change radiator cap, maybe even the thermostat, flush the cooling system, bleed it the best you can.

As far as your exhaust, if it is just water only, at the rear muffler/tip area it is normal for a properly functioning vehicle.

Back