• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix era non-A/C to A/C swap...... anyone done it?

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an '88 MJ with a 5 speed/ Renix 4.0 and A/C delete.

Bought it a couple days ago on an impulse, totally forgetting that I really needed a vehicle with A/C. So far, everything else I've looked into buying is absolute junk so I'm considering finding an A/C equipped donor and swapping the stuff over.

Now, I'm totally aware that this won't be a simple process - dash comes out, gotta swap current heater box for an A/C and heat box, gotta get the compressor, dryer, condenser and hoses, dash controls, etc........

My question really is....... did the Renix era jeeps get engine/dash wiring harnesses with A/C wiring included? Or will I have to also swap an entire harness too?

I know the system will be required to be swapped to R134a from R12...... anyone know what that entails?

Hoping to get info to help justify the work/expense, or firmly decide to sell it in favor of an A/C equipped vehicle.

The MJ is in real good shape so I think it'd be worth doing for that reason anyway........ :dunno:

Thanks in advance!

do you have the ac compressor and all that shit? im pulling the AC out of mine and it worked AMAZINGLY well. LMK

My vehicle had the wiring for the AC. Actually it was a rather painless swap. If you get the stuff together and can make it up here we can swap it in a half day or less. I have all the tools to rechage it as well. I work from home so I can work around your screwy schedule.

Listen to this guy ^^^^^

Its actually pretty easy to do, and recharging with r134a isn't hard at all for those with a little experience, and I'm guessing the old_man has it.

Worst part of the job when converting a vehicle that didn't come with it or needs a new evaporator, is the dash pull, everything else can be done in the engine bay in a few hours.

At least on Renix era XJ's, pulling the dash is pretty quick and easy. There are a half dozen bolts and that is about it. It goes even quicker if I can take a sledge to the windshield. :explosion

It wasn't that difficult but did have issues with the vacuum lines that control the air flow doors. Ended up getting a harness from an A/C equipped vehicle and swapping in. Also replace the accumulator assy prior to charging, that way you'll have fresh dessicant.

Check out the forum at ACKITS.com for the hard questions.

I upgraded my 87 to the 97 parallel flow condenser, and the hoses and filter /dryer to R-134-a rated hoses and desiccant, and got the compressor and expansion valve with the R-134-a o'ring seals, and the R-134-a oil, PAG 100.

The 97 PF condenser made a huge difference in the engine temperature and cooling on 105 F days at 100% humidity here in Houston.

I did need to use a local AC hose fabricator to make my hoses, and hose ends. But I have one that made me an entire set, custom for about $50. :D

I do not envy you, the task ahead of you!!!!! You also need the engine/AC compressor mounting brackets, and idler assy.

Trade your AC delete bracket for my AC bracket?
I removed my AC system from my 89... much to the displeasure of my wife. :)

At least on Renix era XJ's, pulling the dash is pretty quick and easy. There are a half dozen bolts and that is about it. It goes even quicker if I can take a sledge to the windshield. :explosion

Ya, I found at least on the older ones dealing with the old wiring harness/plugs made pulling the dash that much harder because they were so stuck together.

Also managed to crack a few dashes trying to get to the upper bolts, not good if your planning to reuse the dash.

Back