• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking ahead towards next year

Having trail leaders with more responsibility is a good idea. I admit I didn't do much in the way of being organized but I also didn't want to just take over and piss anyone else off. So maybe I was just too passive. And Andy you're right in that it often goes out the window when the participants don't show up or switch groups but had there been a designated meeting time even for just trail leaders before their assigned groups left and then we did tech inspections etc it just make people feel a little better about the event.

We thought it was clear that the trail leaders had the responsibility of organizing their group and leaving at the scheduled time. We'll make that more clear next time. We chose leaders and gave incentive for them to do that. It was their job to choose a route, round up their people and roll out. From what I saw, there was maybe 2 people ready to go at the scheduled times. I don't expect leaders to hunting down people that were supposed to be in their group. I really don't get the guided trail ride thing anyway. It ends up too clustered. I never sign up for a trail ride. I just follow a group of people with big tires.

I don't like to be this way but if I lead next year and we're more than 15 minutes past our appointed leaving time we're going with or without you.

And that's the way it should be but what are you going to do when you're the only one sitting there at the schedule time? That's the problem. No body shows up when they're supposed to.

As for the potluck...never really been an official deal BUT having presence there was missed. Andy you said on facebook that the other event/trail rides aren't NAXJA events...but the Crawl is. In my opinion NAXJA needs to be there even if just to say howdy and let's eat. Sure we're all grownups and can eat anyway and we did...but there were a lot of folks scratching their heads and wondering where you guys were...again we waited to be respectful of event leaders/organizers.

I was at the Pavilion when food started rolling in. I had no plans to eat at the potluck so I left to go eat my own dinner. Looked like it was under control. There was food. There were hungry people. Bam.

Just a suggestion, as before when I have lead trails I always said what time I was leaving, if you were there fine if not fine. We are all adults, if you want to make the run get the **** in line and go.

Set times to leave and do so, if people bitch that's on them, you will never make everyone happy.

I actually enjoyed the laid back atmosphere this year, maybe create a group next year that has an open schedule like my group did this year. Not everyone who stays up late wants to wake up at o'dark thirty to run trails.

Also portal pizza is good and all, and was nice to eat there like we did Thursday night before the crawl officially started, but as far as the official dinner for the crawl I'd have a hard time buying a meal ticket for pizza.

I know in years past there have been tech inspectors identified before the week of the event. If we utilize three or four people to perform tech inspections as people unload, surely we could cover everyone. I do get that participants show up at random times, but before "organized" rides take place, every rig should be inspected regardless.

Sticking with that topic, the requirements were listed for each group and were ignored. I'll be the first to admit that I run 32's and followed a guy on 42's, so I was in violation myself. That being said, I ain't afraid to pull cable and spot every other rig on the ride.

Just a suggestion, as before when I have lead trails I always said what time I was leaving, if you were there fine if not fine. We are all adults, if you want to make the run get the **** in line and go.

Set times to leave and do so, if people bitch that's on them, you will never make everyone happy.

Yeah, you would have been going up the mountain by yourself because not a single person showed up on time for several of the groups. But I agree. If folks want to do scheduled times, do scheduled times and stick to it.

I actually enjoyed the laid back atmosphere this year, maybe create a group next year that has an open schedule like my group did this year. Not everyone who stays up late wants to wake up at o'dark thirty to run trails.

This is why I never dedicate to a group. I don't do mornings.

Also portal pizza is good and all, and was nice to eat there like we did Thursday night before the crawl officially started, but as far as the official dinner for the crawl I'd have a hard time buying a meal ticket for pizza.

Agreed. We need to find another BBQ caterer.

I know in years past there have been tech inspectors identified before the week of the event. If we utilize three or four people to perform tech inspections as people unload, surely we could cover everyone. I do get that participants show up at random times, but before "organized" rides take place, every rig should be inspected regardless.

Sticking with that topic, the requirements were listed for each group and were ignored. I'll be the first to admit that I run 32's and followed a guy on 42's, so I was in violation myself. That being said, I ain't afraid to pull cable and spot every other rig on the ride.

This was my 5th Crawl. I've never had a single person "Inspect" my rig. lol

Tire sizes aren't a requirement but a suggestion. If you're willing to beat the hell out of your Jeep to follow me then you're welcome to follow me.

The purpose of signing up for trail leaders and departures is primarily to lessen the potential for crowding on the access trail to Middle Fork.

In the last 3 Crawls, I've seen it be pretty prompt and have pictures that I've taken of groups lined up and ready to go up the mountain. I know that it works.

I'm hesitant to eliminate timed departures, but perhaps that topic needs more discussion.

Keep 'em coming. What else do we need to consider for 2019.

Was only my second Crawl, so not much past history to base my opinions on. I come to the Crawl as a vacation, to hang with old friends, meet new friends, do some wheeling, and party.

I signed up for groups because I wanted to be sure everyone knew I was coming. I don't think I made any of the appointed times and only went with my "assigned" group after the race on Sat. Sorry!

If I have to be on time for every thing and jump through hoops to participate, I will feel like it's not a vacation. I met the Registration times and would be comfortable with a tech inspection time. If I gotta set an alarm for 8:00 am to be on time to run trails, isn't that like a job?

I really don't have any suggestions about trail leading. I am sure someone will be willing to lead whenever a few people get together to go. Again it is a vacation what is the rush? So you wait on the guys ahead of you.

The food was late and not the best, but here again I am on vacation. I don't expect gourmet dining or care about timing. I missed the potluck due to fixing my power steering pump, so I prolly missed the really good food.

All in all, I had a blast and would not change a thing. That being said, I will live with what ever changes y'all decide on. Please don't make it a boot camp. LOL

Was only my second Crawl, so not much past history to base my opinions on. I come to the Crawl as a vacation, to hang with old friends, meet new friends, do some wheeling, and party.

I signed up for groups because I wanted to be sure everyone knew I was coming. I don't think I made any of the appointed times and only went with my "assigned" group after the race on Sat. Sorry!

If I have to be on time for every thing and jump through hoops to participate, I will feel like it's not a vacation. I met the Registration times and would be comfortable with a tech inspection time. If I gotta set an alarm for 8:00 am to be on time to run trails, isn't that like a job?

I really don't have any suggestions about trail leading. I am sure someone will be willing to lead whenever a few people get together to go. Again it is a vacation what is the rush? So you wait on the guys ahead of you.

The food was late and not the best, but here again I am on vacation. I don't expect gourmet dining or care about timing. I missed the potluck due to fixing my power steering pump, so I prolly missed the really good food.

All in all, I had a blast and would not change a thing. That being said, I will live with what ever changes y'all decide on. Please don't make it a boot camp. LOL

I agree 100%. I'm all for relaxed trail departures but at the same time there are others who can't survive without structure. I'm not one of those people. lol I coordinate with the person I typically wheel with the night before. I knew that I was going to running in Glenn's group so each night I'd go discuss plans with him and anyone else I knew I was going to be riding with to get a game plan together. For example, we were going to run Mason Jar on Friday morning but with impending rain, we decided to run it Thursday morning and discussed a departure time. I never found myself waiting an overly long time for people to saddle up. I also got to sleep in because I knew we weren't pulling out at 8am.

The caterer has screwed us the last 2 years in a row. They won't be there next year.

My group is always a little different. We are typically fixing things and leaving behind schedule. LOL! I also generally know all the rigs in the group. This year one got in without proper tow points. :nono: I will be looking everyone's jeep over from here on out. :cheers:

I agree 100%. I'm all for relaxed trail departures but at the same time there are others who can't survive without structure. I'm not one of those people. lol I coordinate with the person I typically wheel with the night before. I knew that I was going to running in Glenn's group so each night I'd go discuss plans with him and anyone else I knew I was going to be riding with to get a game plan together. For example, we were going to run Mason Jar on Friday morning but with impending rain, we decided to run it Thursday morning and discussed a departure time. I never found myself waiting an overly long time for people to saddle up. I also got to sleep in because I knew we weren't pulling out at 8am.

The caterer has screwed us the last 2 years in a row. They won't be there next year.

Yup, my groups always knew the night before who was going in the group and what time we were leaving.

I enjoyed this Crawl for a few reasons, but also miss a few things from previous Crawls...

Enjoyed this year:
- no set trail schedule, talked & got a group together & we hit the trails... Also did two evening/night runs (which were great as the temp & weather was nice)
- this trip felt more laid back & vacation like as Chuck said, vs having a set itinerary of things you have to do. (I can get disappointed I missed something, because my group is stuck on a trail doing repairs; train shed run, sunset ride, potluck. By not having those things on my "to do" list, I was able to enjoy the time I was on the trail moving or not.)
- the more streamlined raffle was nice, even though I didn't have any of my tickets drawn. I enjoyed watching the kids pull tickets too!
- the LRG Race was awesome!

Something I miss from previous Crawls:
- the awards: Carnage, distance, improved driver & spotter, etc... I know they add a few more minutes to that night, but I felt like I got to know what happened in the group's I wasn't a part of by hearing the stories & votes...

Side note: I agree on doing a tech inspection... I know we signed a waiver to clear NAXJA of anything, but we still need to watch out for each other. Something may be seen that you overlooked... I try to carry what I need tool-wise to fix my vehicle (ex: had everything to change hub on my d44 easily, that's specific to my 3B vs my XJ) I don't carry a spare tire, but always have someone in my group willing to get it if needed...
I would be willing to look over vehicles too, most definitely in my trail group each day... I'm very detailed and have several years in automotive field.

Trail leading, on an "official" capacity can be tough... I don't like to upset or disappoint, so I would end up waiting for the group to gather... But at the same time, I wouldn't want to be in that group waiting around.

All in all and as said before, each year is different and unique... Out of I think 9 or 10 Crawls, I've only had one trip that was "off" from the rest... And has nothing to do with NAXJA or any of the BOD.

Back