• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 Died on the Highway

Eliminator89

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, need some input on this problem.

Driving on the highway, the '01 Cherokee stumbles a bit then recovers. A mile further, it stumbles and dies. Sitting on the shoulder, I restart, it idles very rough for a few seconds and dies. It does that a few times. Then it starts and runs fine. Its been running fine for the last few days. Problem occured Thuseday.

I was thinking a fuel delivery problem. I've spent the last hour or so reading old posts and think my Airtex fuel pump may be going out. They seem to have a bad reputation.

Tomorrow, I will be going to a friend's place where we have a shop. I can test fuel pressure there. What sort of pressure should the Jeep have? I have a factory service manual but thats at home 100 miles away. I've been on the road since Thursday morning so I can't get to it.

I scanned for codes (CEL was on as it has been for a while now) but only came up with the emission system leak code that I already knew about. I just haven't had time to fix that leak.

What do you think?

Test the CPS.

Fuel pressure should be 49 psi +/- 5 psi.

I agree with Tim. The issue in resolving this though is that testing when it is running fine may not show any values out of spec.

It would be great if you could have this become symptomatic when you are testing, but unless it gets worse (and it will), that might not be easy to coordinate.

Back