• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The driveshaft vibe

Amund2

NAXJA Forum User
I'm really new to 4x4s, at least to owning one. I have brand new OME 2" (or something) springs on my 86 XJ, and didn't think I had any driveshaft vibrations. Now I'm unsure, however. Seems like there is a very fast vibration in the car when cruising around 100 km/h (about 60 mph), I don't know where it's coming from, but it feels like it's all around the car, in the floor, steering wheel, doors... not a strong vibration, not immediately noticeable but I can feel it, and don't like it... is it too little to damage/wear out anything, or should I look into it before it's too late?

Also, do you think this vibe (if it's coming from the shaft, I'm suspecting my gearbox mount as well, I think the steel touches sometimes, especially under forward torque) is due to driveshaft imbalance, or u-joint angles? I haven't checked the angles yet, but I got the shaft (and slip-yoke) from another car, which means the pinion yoke isn't balanced in relation to the driveshaft. I could try to turn the joint 180 degrees in the yoke, though... Or maybe I have bent my shaft, even just slightly? Does that happen easily, I noticed some screw-shaped scratches on the shaft, seems like I've touched something with it while driving... :rolleyes:

All tips and opinions appreciated. :)

If you put on the lift just recently did you check to see if everything is tight? There might be something loose that is causing the problem.....

Also, try driving without the rear shaft and see if vibes are still there or not..
Kejtar

oh... with yours if you remove the shaft I think you will have to close of the t-case output.... Someone else will probably chime in with more info on that..

Back