• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Engine skid question...

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a new engine skid (second-hand) from a local guy, but it had no directions. Does anyone have a pic of one installed on their vehicle? That sucker is a MONSTER :eek: You could probably shoot a RPG at it and it would deflect it!
Thanks,
BLUTO :)

I've got one on mine,but no pix. What do you need to know?
IIRC,the install went something like this:

Install the front mounting bar,but leave it loose.
Get a jack and jack the skid up to the x-member
Center the skid on the x-member from front to back
Make sure you can get the bolt holes in the front mount to line up
Mark the holes on the x-member
Drop the skid,drill out the x-member
Jack the skid back up to the mounting points
Install all four bolts/nuts/washers *loosely*
When you get everything lined up and are happy with it,tighten everything down and you are done!

Since you bought this piece used,I am curious,is there a small section of the upright at the rear of the skid cut off? I had to cut a small section of mine off to make mine work on the Rusty's x-member. Did the original owner use the Rusty's or factory x-member?

Oh,BTW,good luck with it,and do yourself a favor,change the oil now before the install,as it'll be the last time it's gonna be easy :) And don't get suckered into buying that Fram Sure Drain POS! I bought one for mine and it took almost 15 minutes for all the oil to drain out:mad: I think next time I'll just try a small funnel through the drain hole and see if that'll work :D

Mike,
I finally crawled under there tonite and looked it over....not all that complicated looking. I see where the "hook" goes over the front DS and bolts to the rear of the LCA mounts. Then I drill two holes for the backside of the pan in the TC crossmember.
As for that drain hole,....no need to :banghead: , just pipe it over to the hole! Run a few black pipe nipples and elbows over near the hole, install a ball valve (if there's room to get at the handle) with a plugged elbow looking down and drain thru the hole. If I can't get to the valve, then I'll either mount the valve over the hole and drain to another hole OR use no valve at all.
The original owner never mounted the skid. Since I can't post attachments :( , I'll describe my skid to you. about 35"L x 27"W.... narrows near front. Both sides and narrow front area are turned-up about 1", backside is flat. Only cutout area is for hanger to bolt across the pan.
I hope I can still fit my factory front engine skid on too! I have to cut it down a little to fit Rusty's front tow bar. Will probably drill three holes in it and weld nuts over the holes to mount the front of skid to. The rear of skid bolts-up to holes by front swaybar bushings. Jeep calls it an engine skid,..it's more of a front of engine/steering skid, better than nothing there ;)
Thanks for the reply, take care........
BLUTO :)

Back