• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MetalCloak Dual Rate Coils

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
Can I hear some opinions on MC DR coils? Sound really good and I like them on the front of the XJ and now considering them for the new TJUR on all 4 corners but got a wild reply on another forum:

"The "dual rate" term is complete bullshit for TJ springs, no matter what MC claims. Go with quality springs like from Rockjock, which used to be known as Currie before Rockjock split off with John Currie running RJ."

Yikes!

Goal on the LJ is to lower the lift from a net of 6"+ to 3.5-ish. and still run 35s with MC Overline fenders.

Thanks.

I would tend to agree.

I think most advertised dual rate springs might be progressive but i think that may be a strech.
A true dual rate spring would cost alot compared to the marketing to say it is.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Its not hard to make a dual rate coil. All that needs to be done is increase the winding density over some portion of the length of the coil. That's a piece of cake to fabricate. But the design is harder. More coils take up more space, and tightly space coils bind more quickly, so there ends up being a lot of nearly useless coils that can potentially cause the entire coil stack to reach the binding state before the suspension has gone through its entire travel. And weight of the vehicle needs to be taken into account. I'd say its pretty hard to design a dual rate coil that works for everything from a stock weight vehicle to one that has lots of weight-adders (bumpers, tire racks, winch, etc.).

The metalcloak dual rates are only a single rate at ride height... the soft rate is fully collapsed. I like them myself. I do seam to prefer softer springs and firmer shocks though....

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

The lower rate would need to be double or more than the second rate.

Two 100 rate coils stacked on eachother are now a combined 50. Thus wouldnt be able to support the vehicle weight.

Thats why the one rate is coil bound. Or topped out. Its now ridding on the primary rate that can support the weight

I think thats what max is saying.

There is a formula to figure dual rate spring rates if anyones interested in Google searching till theyre eyes bleed

I friggin love mine. I have 6.5inch with a 12” shocks. I can full droop out my shocks and still have spring pressure due to the helper spring rate.

Yes they keep springs from falling out but dont really have any dual rate qualities.

I was looking into the rock krawler coils they seem cool but are the same as other springs. I also couldn't quite figure out whos making springs. Seems lots of names and not as many spring makers.

Soft springs and stiff shocks is a sweet combo

Evan I believe your coilovers have spoiled you .... bahahaha (jealousy showing)

Progressive coils historically have sagging issues, so I think that's where companies build these dual rate coils with a collapsed rate...

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Maybe so.

I dont under stand how a calapsed coil is called a dual rate. Its a coil extender on extension

I did a lot of reading on coil springs then lots of reading on dual rates before going coil overs. I know enough now to know i dont know much about it.

Back