• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacement for power steering pump?

cracked-butt

NAXJA Forum User
ok i did a bit of searching in here & couldn't find it. (i know i saw it before, just can't find it now).

is the dodge durango power steering pump an exact fit, bolt on replacement for a 89 4.0 w/ ac? or would i have to do a little fab work to make it fit?

thanks guys!

keep it muddy!

The 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee pump for the V8 is a good candidate. It is a much higher flow and pressure pump. It is designed to run the radiator fan as well as the steering. It has two return ports on the reservoir. The biggest hassle is getting a hose from the large return port on the reservoir over to the steering gear. You then block the small port. If you use the small return port, you will get cavitation and the pump will whine like a banshee. I run the 2001 pump on my hydroassist and run a small pulley. Lots of people with hydroassist complain about steering being mushy and having lag. The way I ran it, it is almost a bit too sensitive.

The 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee pump for the V8 is a good candidate. It is a much higher flow and pressure pump. It is designed to run the radiator fan as well as the steering. It has two return ports on the reservoir. The biggest hassle is getting a hose from the large return port on the reservoir over to the steering gear. You then block the small port. If you use the small return port, you will get cavitation and the pump will whine like a banshee. I run the 2001 pump on my hydroassist and run a small pulley. Lots of people with hydroassist complain about steering being mushy and having lag. The way I ran it, it is almost a bit too sensitive.

Where are you sourcing your pressure hoses from? Custom, or off the shelf?

Custom. There is an industrial hose place here called tubes and hoses.

interesting. no hose shops around here, that i know of.
everytime i start the jeep it is whining/squeeling worse than a stuck pig & am tired of hearing it. rather have a load exhaust than this darn squeal.
there is p/s fluid all over the place and it's leaking from where the pulley is. i've checked all the hoses (thinking that they were the culprits, but they aren't). then noticed that the front of the pump was soaked (behind the pulley).

called o'reily here & the person told me to check my belt tensioner.... DUH! 89 xj 4.0 w/ a.c. = serpentine belt = tensioner IS the p.s. pump! damn i wish i could have reached through the phone & smacked him! anyhow they want $65 for the pump, and he didnt specify if that was new or remanned!

thanks guys! i'll try to check out the local yards to see what i can gather :)

Back