• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

The same cold air intake I have been running for several years. They prototyped it on my car.

I posted about it earlier in this thread

maxbrake, when I was trying the zj fan clutch mod my mounts were tired but not ripped and my trans mount was shot also but it was moving at least an inch power braking in drive. don't recall how much in reverse but I am sure an inch the other way also. Ive since gone to diy solid mounts and no more movement.

maxbrake, when I was trying the zj fan clutch mod my mounts were tired but not ripped and my trans mount was shot also but it was moving at least an inch power braking in drive. don't recall how much in reverse but I am sure an inch the other way also. Ive since gone to diy solid mounts and no more movement.

Thanks. I'm curious whether it moves up/down, side/side, fore/aft. I guess I can check on my own XJ when I get back to it in Monday.

Thanks. I'm curious whether it moves up/down, side/side, fore/aft. I guess I can check on my own XJ when I get back to it in Monday.

The simple answer is yes. It's going to move in every direction. Fore/aft should have the least movement of the mounts are in good shape, but when you're pounding around on the trail the drivetrain will move an inch or more in every direction.

The simple answer is yes. It's going to move in every direction. Fore/aft should have the least movement of the mounts are in good shape, but when you're pounding around on the trail the drivetrain will move an inch or more in every direction.

ok. I suppose that some of this must be due to chassis flex as well as engine and tranny mount flex.

ok. I suppose that some of this must be due to chassis flex as well as engine and tranny mount flex.

I would say no to that, but I know my camper's cabover moves ~3" in relation to the bed of my truck, and that is all chassis flex.

Jeep's gotta have a bit of that going on.

I would say no to that, but I know my camper's cabover moves ~3" in relation to the bed of my truck, and that is all chassis flex.

Jeep's gotta have a bit of that going on.

I'm always impressed with the notion of chassis flex. How can a box structure (XJ) flex as much as people suggest. Even if the steel is pretty thin, the overall box structure should provide a lot of rigidity. But apparently it happens because lots of people have reported fatigue cracking. My thought is that major flex mostly happens during rock crawling when the suspension is either at or near max extension/compression. I suspect that light trail work is not an issue.

BTW, how goes the Cold Case?

Not really. My superduty is getting the love right now (built 6.0, shit ton of cooling upgrades, F450 brakes, etc).

Need to get that all done and ironed out before I tear into the jeep again, but it's coming. ;)

Back