• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear drums will not turn

rstickley

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ Classic and I just replaced the rear brake shoes, hardware, cylinders, and flex hose (body to axle). Once I install the drums, did not replace or turn, and torque the lug nuts down, the drum will not turn. If I loosen lugs, it will turn. I measured the width of the shoes and they are the same as the old one. This is with the adjuster loose so the shoes are not dragging at all. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 98 XJ Classic and I just replaced the rear brake shoes, hardware, cylinders, and flex hose (body to axle). Once I install the drums, did not replace or turn, and torque the lug nuts down, the drum will not turn. If I loosen lugs, it will turn. I measured the width of the shoes and they are the same as the old one. This is with the adjuster loose so the shoes are not dragging at all. Any ideas?

Have you tried backing off the adjusters more so that the drums will turn?

Were the drums smooth on the inside or did it have a ridge?

I had this same problem on one of my XJ's with a D44. I was building an axle with all new components and ran into the exact same situation you describe.
The problem was a ridge on the inside of the new brake drum that would hit the side of the shoes and sandwich the shoes against the backing plate when you would tighten the lug nuts.
I took the drums to a brake shop and had them clean up the inside ridge on a brake lathe. They just went a little deeper on the width of the brake shoe contact area.
It was just poor quality with the new drums. The cut needed to be a little deeper on the drum. Take your drums off and inspect that ridge and measure it carefully. I'm sure you'll find that is your problem.

I had this same problem on one of my XJ's with a D44. I was building an axle with all new components and ran into the exact same situation you describe.
The problem was a ridge on the inside of the new brake drum that would hit the side of the shoes and sandwich the shoes against the backing plate when you would tighten the lug nuts.
I took the drums to a brake shop and had them clean up the inside ridge on a brake lathe. They just went a little deeper on the width of the brake shoe contact area.
It was just poor quality with the new drums. The cut needed to be a little deeper on the drum. Take your drums off and inspect that ridge and measure it carefully. I'm sure you'll find that is your problem.

This is the problem I had. I did not go the machining route. We have a lot of part stores where I live so I was able to go to a couple of stores before finding a matching set that worked. Once you know what the problem is you can look at them and know if they will work or not.

Are you familiar with the concept of leading and trailing brake shoe? They look very similar, make sure you have them on correctly.

I have now installed new drums. Still cannot turn drums by hand once torqued down. Drums slide over shoes without any effort. Once on, I can turn drum by hand. If I install the lug nuts and tighten down, I can no longer turn by hand. I marked the inside of the drum on all surfaces before installing them and ran truck in gear. Drivers side got to 200* and the passenger to 160*. Removed drums and the only place rubbing is the shoes where they are supposed to. Drums slid off without forcing and park brake is so loose it won’t grab at all. I know that there is a front and rear shoe but is there a left and right? I’m going crazy with this!

I see you measured the shoes, now measure the inside of the new and old drums. Also double check the rest of the hardware including the brake cylinders.

If they are the same then I suggest, you've assembled the brakes incorrectly.

Tighten one lug just enough to feel some drag but not lock up, then turn, turn turn. Then remove and carefully check the inside of the drum, shoes, backing plate and all other hardware for any signs of rubbing.

Finally fixed this issue. Installed another new pair shoes and problem solved. Put the two pair side by side and couldn’t see any difference. Anyway, thanks to everyone who chimes in on this and tried to help.

Back