• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj bang

xjfam98

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have a 98 xj and am getting a banging under my feet when hitting bumps and it is worse in four wheel drive. I originally thought it was a control arm bushing and have replaced all bushings. I have disconnected the sway bar and shocks and it still bangs. I have also checked the exhaust bracket at the cross member mount and that is fine. Any ideas would be great. I am thinking motor mount or tranfer case mount.

Hey guys, I have a 98 xj and am getting a banging under my feet when hitting bumps and it is worse in four wheel drive. . Any ideas would be great. I am thinking motor mount or tranfer case mount.

The transmission mount would be the first thing I would checked, next the motor mounts .
Make sure the crossmember's bolts and the trans mount nuts are tight.
As overall tightening of all accessible hardware is always a good idea when chasing down new noises. It's a good time to visually check the bushings and mounts.

Back