• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HARMONIC BALANCER BAD????

Is it normal for it to wobble a bit at idle? It clears right up with a little throttle.

No, it's not normal, time to replace it before it starts walking in our out.

not normal. when they go bad, they will come loose and possibly off. but first the rubber in between the two pieces will start coming out which is an early sign.

x2 replace it before it starts shredding belts!

Yup I had two belts shred be because of it. Swap it before it leaves you stranded somewhere...

Its a common problem on Jeeps, the outer ring of the damper works free from the rubber. If you don't get a new damper it will just get worse and do lots of damage.

Luckily on mine, the rubber looked great, its just the outer ring worked free from the rubber and walked backwards toward the motor. It made a lot vibration, since I had a hunk of metal wobbling around on the end of the crank. It did scratch up timing chain cover a bit, and made noise from slipping and rubbing.

The drawback is, unless you've got a good compact puller, you'll need to pull the radiator to pull the damper. This is on the 2.5L 4cyl with a taller narrower radiator, maybe its different on the 4.0L 6cyl. If your pulling the radiator, might as well kill two birds with one stone and do a flush and full coolant replacement on the system.

A new one made a huge improvement for me in vibe and noise. I got mine from a dealer that sells parts online, just over wholesale, there are bunches of them. I think I paid $36 for a new one, can't remember, it might have been around $60, either way, I could only find it through a dealer and mail ordering over the internet at one of those dealers is usually half the cost of most dealers.

Mine went out on my 91 4.0L, walked back into the timing cover and left a pretty nice groove in it, not too bad to change as long as you can fit a puller in there? I did have to remove my radiator (which i had just replace a couple of months earlier) It never shredded a belt though, suprising!

Back