• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready to order lift.. RE questions.

Chadd

NAXJA Forum User
Well after searching and reading here I have decided on either a RE 3.5" or 4.5" superflex for my 97 Country. I plan on running 32's or 33's, will have a winch mount front bumper with winch at some point, I don't mind a little trimming but would like to avoid it if possible. I am leaning toward the 4.5" along with SYE.

Now to the questions.

1. Who is the best "no bull" RE dealer that will steer me straight?

2. What options should I get with the lift that will fit me best in the long run? Options I have read about listed below please feel free to add any.

3. I have read that getting adjustable UCA and LCA is a good idea, what is the concensus on this, is it worth the extra $$? Would I be better off getting the non adjustable and upgrading to Long Arms later if needed?

4. I also read it may be a good idea to replace the standard 4.5 springs with 3.5 ZJ springs if you are going have a winch in front.

5. I have read that the Gen2 disco's are junk and to get JKS. Are the Gen2 that bad if you are not frequently disconnecting them?

6. Is the trackbar that comes with the 4.5" kit good enough? Is an additional mount required for it?

7. Will a front drive shaft work for the rear if I use the RE hack-n-tap on a 97' 242 with 8.25? I have read both, that it would and that it wouldn't.

8. Will shims more than likely be needed for the rear axle? If so what is a good angle to start with?

9. Any reasons to get the 3.5" over the 4.5"? Seems like the 4.5" is a more complete kit. Is there noticable difference in stablity do to the extra 1" in height?

10. What about the rest of the front steering components, will stock set up in good shape be ok or should it be upgraded with the lift install? If so any recommendations here?

11. Are there any gotchas with the complete kits? Any extra stuff that is needed that doesn't come with the kits that would be required for the installtion?

Thanks for taking the time to look,

Chadd

1. PORC
3. Yes, alex will upgrade you to adjustables for next to nothing.
5. Been disconnecting mine for a year with no probs. Love em.
6. Make sure you upgrade to the HD one if it doesn't come with it.
10. Stocks fine

I run the 5.5 kit and love RE's quality.

I second PORC, Alex is the man. I bought a RE 4.5 6130 from him but substituted adjustable lowers, JKS quick discos, 4.5 rear leaf (instead of the 3.5 with 1.25 shackle), 1.5 shackle and added an SYE and it was shipped to my door for just over $1100 and this was with 4 shocks also. Oh yeah, I subbed in the HD track bar too.

Another guy that has GREAT prices is Donald at DC4wd.com I got a pair of RE drops and braces a couple of months ago for $275 shipped.

Chadd said:
1. Who is the best "no bull" RE dealer that will steer me straight?
Dan Turner at Loose-Nuts-Enterprises hands down...
http://www.loose-nuts-enterprises.com/ Phone:909-797-4438

I usally don't bash anyone/vendors... but if you're looking for bull head to PORC. There's a reason why they are not a vender here. I'd steer far and clear away from them.

Chadd said:
2. What options should I get with the lift that will fit me best in the long run? Options I have read about listed below please feel free to add any.
Answered Below.

Chadd said:
3. I have read that getting adjustable UCA and LCA is a good idea, what is the concensus on this, is it worth the extra $$? Would I be better off getting the non adjustable and upgrading to Long Arms later if needed?
Depends on the budget. If you think you'll be running this kit for awhile before dropping bigger money on long arms, then purchase them now. They also have a better resale value. My option... purchase them.

Chadd said:
4. I also read it may be a good idea to replace the standard 4.5 springs with 3.5 ZJ springs if you are going have a winch in front.
That really depends on the wieght of the bumper as well...

Chadd said:
5. I have read that the Gen2 disco's are junk and to get JKS. Are the Gen2 that bad if you are not frequently disconnecting them?
I've had not issues with the Gen2s... Gen1s where the issue (although I never ran Gen1s).

Chadd said:
6. Is the trackbar that comes with the 4.5" kit good enough? Is an additional mount required for it?
I'd look into the RE1660 Trackbar kit as substiution... much better.

Chadd said:
7. Will a front drive shaft work for the rear if I use the RE hack-n-tap on a 97' 242 with 8.25? I have read both, that it would and that it wouldn't.
Sorry not experiance with the NP242.

Chadd said:
8. Will shims more than likely be needed for the rear axle? If so what is a good angle to start with?
Depends on SYE decision \.

Chadd said:
9. Any reasons to get the 3.5" over the 4.5"? Seems like the 4.5" is a more complete kit. Is there noticable difference in stablity do to the extra 1" in height?
Go with the RE6130 (4.5") with the Adjustable arms and the RE1660 trackbar.. you'll thank yourself later...

Chadd said:
10. What about the rest of the front steering components, will stock set up in good shape be ok or should it be upgraded with the lift install? If so any recommendations here?
There are a TON of options here... depends on your budget... could be looking anywhere from $250-$1500 on this...

Chadd said:
11. Are there any gotchas with the complete kits? Any extra stuff that is needed that doesn't come with the kits that would be required for the installtion?
Nothing other than tools if you order the RE6130...

Post more on your budget and give Dan Turner a call (number in #1) and we should be able to help more on the finer details I skipped.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I'll second the RE1660 trackbar and mound, add the trackbar brace too.

I'll also second Loosenuts. Dan has the best price available and goes way out of his way to provide most excellent service.

Don't worry about using a front driveshaft, pony up the cash for a new CV shaft. Most front driveshafts are fairly worn, and the splined area's of the slip joint have a bit of play in them. Add them to the rear, and they will have some hefty vibes in a fairly short time.

The RE fixed arms are fine, but it would be a good idea to upgrade to superflex uppers (it comes with superride uppers). Superflex arms have a flex joint at one end, the superride are all rubber, and you will go through the bushings quick if you wheel alot - although they do ride better on the street.

Stock steering is ok at 4.5", but you should buy new stock steering, as if yours is getting towards worn, the change in steering angles will bring failure somewhat soon.

Thanks for the replys guys.

As far as the front bumper I plan on making my own. Just guessing I would say the bumper itself will come in at around 80-100 pounds or so not including the winch.

I am definately going to be putting on an SYE and from the recomendations will be puchasing a new CV shaft. From reading it seems like some people have to use shims and some don't is this a wait and see deal or should I plan on putting some in?

Budget wise I would like to keep the lift/suspension/steering realated stuff to under $2000

Thanks again,
Chadd

Expect you will need to shim the rear axle when you put your CV shaft and SYE on. The RE1807 Hack-n-Tap is the only one you'll be able to use with the NP242, and it comprises a flat flange, which is incompatible with the front driveshaft.

Get at least adjustable uppers, and the RE1660/1665/1670 Trackbar, Mount and Brace are a great upgrade.

You'll be able to retain the stock steering, although I wouldn't recommend going much higher with the stock setup.

JKS Quicker Disconnects are a simple and quiet upgrade to the RE setup. The issue with the original RE RE Gen I wasn't so much with disconnecting as it was with rattle...they were pretty bad. The JKS are simple to set up, simple to reconnect, and quiet.

Don't forget you're going to want to regear when you choose your tire size. You're also going to want to use new rims with reduced backspace...probably about 4" or so instead of the stock 5.25"

Whatever vendor you go with should be able to order the lift you want and swap the parts you select into the order.

See http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/45lift.html for more about my RE6130 and related parts.

Jim
www.yuccaman.com

Back