• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing front bearing retainer seal on AX15

XJNASH

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody done this? Is it just removing the bolts and pulling that plate off?

I have an 89 AX-15 sitting in the garage with the front retainer plate off. I just peeked at it to refresh my memory. The front retainer plate comes off and the seal is pushed out towards the rear. The original input bearing is not a sealed unit and it's just the front shaft seal that holds the oil in. The replacement input bearing when I did the rebuild had a outer rubber seal, making the front seal redundant.

The newer (ie external slave) ax-15's have a slightly different bearing retainer plate, but I believe the seal is still mounted the same way. Note if your input seal is leaking, make sure you check for play in the input bearing. A worn input bearing will wear out the input seal and cause a leak. Replacing the input bearing does require seperating the tranny.

Thanks I went ahead an pulled it off and it is as you described. I do have paly in the bearing side to side which I'm assuming your speaking about and a little front to back play.

Back