• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Balancer Pulley??s

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
web-shopping has pointed up two flavors of balancer pulley. NAPA and Auto-Zone both have one at approx $50 and AZ has another one at appx $85. Is there really a difference? The more expensive one is approx 1 pound heavier...

I haven't priced the local dealerships yet... but will today, since I need to get a thermostat & lower hose.

This is all for an 88 with 210,000... I'm rehabbing the cooling system this weekend and want to do the pulley while I have clear access.

TIA

Woody

the one that is heavier will last longer, but how many times are you going to use it? once or twice a month or year or everyday or a lifetime. the cheaper on should work for limited use. besides if if bends take it back and get the better one IMHO

2offroad said:
the one that is heavier will last longer, but how many times are you going to use it? once or twice a month or year or everyday or a lifetime. the cheaper on should work for limited use. besides if if bends take it back and get the better one IMHO
I believe the man said pulleY, not pulleR... :doh:

Yep. Just the pulley...

Jeep dealer 30 miles away has a pulley in stock @$72... I'm waiting on a callback from the more local dealer to see what they stock & how much.

There was a post on here a while back about how they changed the style which requires a bit more to install it on the RENIX xjs. It has been said that with the newer style you have to pull the oil slinger of of the crank. Possibly someone that has done this installation can fill in more information.

Hodge

I've swapped renix balancer pulleys before on my 89 MJ (3 years ago)...IIRC just get the nut loose and it more or less came right off the old motor and I threw it on the new motor. The motors were out of the Jeep at the time though. This time the motor is still in the Jeep... I realize I might have to undo the mounts and raise or lower it some...wont know for sure until the header & radiator is out of the way.

What I was originally asking was what's the difference between Autozone's Pioneer $85 9.26# pulley and their Dorman $42 8.25# pulley (both are 'new' and have a 1 yr warr.), NAPA's $45 pulley and the $72 OEM Jeep pulley???

FWIW I didn't feel good about cheaping out on this part, so I just bought one from the dealership....So for me it doesn't matter, but fior the next guy who's wondering.

I'll weigh the OEM one at work tommorrow.

Had a bad experience w/ this yesterday...the Dorman part I got from O'Rielly Auto Parts DOES NOT FIT!! not even able to get it to start on to the crnkshaft snub, tried 3 times w 3 differebt parts of the same # from dorman, three different mechanics tried it, IT DOES NOT FIT, WRONG PART!! bE Warned!!

Back