• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Balancer

liljoe71

NAXJA Forum User
So I went out this morning a cranked my 94 Jeep Cherokee (2wd with 225k plus miles on it) and heard some rattling after I cranked it. I immediately turned it off and checked it out. Initially looked like it was a busted serpentine belt but after further inspection. Turns out it was my harmonic balancer. The rattling that I heard was it hitting the ground. It turns out that the rubber in the middle of part that ties to the crankshaft eventually gave out after so many years. Now just an fyi this is a 1994 and is over 18 years old! IT is also my DD and I am not ready to buy a new one just yet. Heck its barely broken in!

My question(s) is now;
Can i just go buy a replacement and remove and install and its good to go?

I am going to go ahead and replace the sepertine belt while im there and if there is anything else I notice that needs attention.

Thanks

Lil Joe

Yep. You will be good to go. Replace the front oil seal while you are it.

There have been reports Dorman HB won't always fit. If you can wait try Rockauto for another make.

Picked up the HB from Oreilly's plus belt and seal. Removed the HB with a puller that I had bought a while back from harbor freight. It came off really easy. Just an FYI i sprayed it with some PB an hour before I started. I removed the crankshaft seal, installed the new one. I rented the HB installation tool from Vatozone and installed with no issues torque it to 80 lbs. (lube the inner part of HB with moly grease) Installed new serpentine belt and popped open a frothy beverage and two hours later I was done.

Back