• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Pinion Seal Orientation

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
Going to replace the pinion yoke and leaking seal with the u-bolt style yoke, and just want to be sure on the seal placement. Is the correct orientation side A (with the stampings) to the outside or side B? This seal looks a bit different than the one on the axle now. Pretty sure it's side A to the outside. Am I correct? Thanks, Don

seal1.jpg

seal2.jpg

seal3.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if yours has a history of leaking or not, but mine would eat pinion seals every other week.

I threw a small bead of RTV around the outside edge of the metal case (where it seats against the housing) and it stopped anymore leaks.

Not sure if yours has a history of leaking or not, but mine would eat pinion seals every other week.

I threw a small bead of RTV around the outside edge of the metal case (where it seats against the housing) and it stopped anymore leaks.

yep.

this has become common practice for me now

It is best to thoroughly clean out the old seal case sealant (usually orange or red) from the seal mounting area. If this is good and clean you should have no leak issues. Also it is worth the time to make a tool out of a piece of pipe that fits perfectly against the inner part of the outer lip of the metal part of the seal, [takes breath] and use it to pound the seal in perfectly straight. If the seal gets cocked during installation it can warp and you will never get it to seal if it does.

Back