• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting back in the Game

XJfreakHO

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so due to alot of financial and other issues I have neglected my favorite hobby (XJ's)
I sold my jeep, have been through 3-4 dd xj's since just flipping them to make a little coin, well Ive got a bit of cash saved up and am planning to either start from scratch or find someones project and add a few touches.

I would like to run 36's so I have no intention of keeping the stock axles, but after reading and researching I cannot honestly determine what to do with the d30, I am really trying to do the axles on a budget and I have no welding experience, couple friends are able but I hate being a mooch.

I found a XJ on 36's for pretty damn cheap, just waiting for more info, assuming hes running stock axles which I just don't want to do.

I will be looking for a XJ 44 for the rear in the days to come, would go 8.8 but I have heard a few bad things and figure why not run the direct swap.

If you have any advice feel free to PM me, if your local/helpful I will gladly exchange personal information and maybe plan a meet up to assist, Beer will be on me lol

Moral of this post:

I want to build an XJ on 36's
What is the best way to do this on a budget with limited fabrication ability?

Thanks NAXJA

Just Noticed I am no longer a member, didn't realize it had been that long, will have to get up to date asap... :(

Last edited:
I'm still a fab lightweight, but I learned a lot from buying someone else's (mostly) built rig and then slowly fixing their f-ups and my breakdowns over time. This way you can wheel right away. If I was starting from a stocker, it would take me forever to get it built up and it would drive me nuts not being able to hit the trails while it was on jackstands.

hey oak ridge i live a couple miles from you out in summerfield my buddy has an 84 with a 3 in lift stock axles 31s and the 2.5l 5spd manual hes only askin 900 obo

JMHO, and I ran 36's for a couple years, I'd run a 35 and go with the front 30 for now. ESPECIALLY on a budget. 36's IMHO are the upper limit of the D44 while 35's are kinda in the middle. I broke the front 44 2 or 3 different times with the 36's before I sold them and want to tons. I know plenty of people run the 44 with 37's and 36's and never have a problem with it but in my experience I'd rather be wheeling then constantly repairing on the rig.

JMHO, and I ran 36's for a couple years, I'd run a 35 and go with the front 30 for now. ESPECIALLY on a budget. 36's IMHO are the upper limit of the D44 while 35's are kinda in the middle. I broke the front 44 2 or 3 different times with the 36's before I sold them and want to tons. I know plenty of people run the 44 with 37's and 36's and never have a problem with it but in my experience I'd rather be wheeling then constantly repairing on the rig.

Not to thread jack... But i am running d44 in the back with stock still up front..

I have 33''s atm and have no reason to want to go any bigger they work great for me.. Should i just re gear and call it a day? Or should i upgrade the front axle?

Not to thread jack... But i am running d44 in the back with stock still up front..

I have 33''s atm and have no reason to want to go any bigger they work great for me.. Should i just re gear and call it a day? Or should i upgrade the front axle?

If it were me I'd regear and then address any issues that come up. IE: stronger axles if needed. The best thing you can do for the life of the ujoint is either a full circle clip or weld the caps.

hey oak ridge i live a couple miles from you out in summerfield my buddy has an 84 with a 3 in lift stock axles 31s and the 2.5l 5spd manual hes only askin 900 obo

Not interested in the 4 banger, sorry.

Buy mine and do your thing. It has a nearly new engine so you can spend your money on other stuff.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1020595

Sorry bro not looking to buy something I would have to take the lift off before putting mine on, thanks though.

Do you think it would be worth just switching the front LP 30 to a HP 30? Im thinking getting the HP 30 and going with 29 spline shafts or would the regearing it suffice... I read that going over a 4.11 in a d30 is asking for breakage. Obvious you know your stuff and have been here so I figure the more info the better. Thanks

I really hate when people don't know what axles are under there jeeps, called the guy and he said its got danas front and rear, its a 97 so it should have a 8.25 in the rear, he says "I think they are geared" which means maybe...
But for the price I can't really XXXX with it I don't guess. 2500 bucks with a warn xd9000
needs new tires fairly soon... Etc...

Guy claims it has a 8.5 inch rustys, which they never made, after seeing a picture the rear is sagging to shit, so I almost doubt its the big rusties

Last edited:
OK
IMPORTANT QUESTION

Im reading about this lift, the rustys 8 long arm, trying to find anything that would make it stand out for sure that this is the lift he has... The guy knows nothing about jeeps. We are leaving in a few minutes.

If you can give me any tips or anything please gimme a call asap 336 430 7842, my names Eric and I have verizon if that matters.

Went and bought it, definatly not what all he said it was but still worth the money.

207k on the odometer but 37,500 on rebuilt engine and trans. 4x4 works good.

Made the mistake of buying it dirty, found a few XXXX ups, some damage and all, but still worth the money, more than likely put a little work into it, post it for sale to get my money back out and wheel it till its sold. Needs tires on it though bad.

Will post them up tommorow when it clears up... Thing needs some work for sure, but itll suit the purpose I got it for... Im not much of a mechanic honestly, I know my information but just am not terribly technical, got a buddy coming by sometime this week when it clears up to take a look at my rear axle, I think the centering pins must be out cuz the axle seems to move around a little. I will post the pics I have now though, they are dirty so can't tell much but the ass end sags and the fenders were cut by a moron. Need to get it ready as soon as possible wanting to go to uwharrie...

97xj36tsl2.jpg

97xj36tsl3.jpg

97xj36tsl.jpg

Was probably my brother... but hes on 33's, or it could be another buddy, but hes on 38's...

I haven't drove it anywhere except around my apartment (I live at cardinal apartments)

I will go if I can get the jeep fixxed... I don't have a license though (DUI) So I would have to have a buddy drive it there or get it towed would be best. My bro would probably go if he isn't working, got a few other buddies just gotta give some notice for them.

yea i saw it then saw the pics you posted and figured it wasnt cause it did look a bit smaller and what all is wrong with it? or what all do you know is wrong with it?

Back