• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tcase drop and dshaft length?

69fury

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 93Sport 2 door with 4.0, Ax15, 231 with d30 and 8.25. The previous owner put a nice 4-4.5" lift in front and an aal in back that took a sack. I'm relifting the back with a full pack, and will look into SYE (and maybe a 2 low kit).

I have two questions and evidently cant get the right combo of keywords to search them out- Is the rear driveshaft length different between the Aw4 XJ's and the Ax15's? -I know people use the front ds off an Aw4 when they H&T but i'm unsure about a full SYE and the length of the 5speed unit compared to an auto. budget ideas?

Also, i have a stock Transfer case crossmember, but when i peek up there, i see a plate that has about a 1 1/2" bend in it. This sits atop the crossmember, and the 231 bolts to it. Is this a type of drop mounting plate instead of a tcase crossmember drop?

I though i would try the drop first and if it needed it, save for a sye, but i dont want to drop the crossmember if there is a drop mount already installed, ya know?

-rick.

so why two threads on it?

The ax15/231 combo is about 1.5" shorter in length than that of the aw4/231 combo. A front driveshaft setup using the front shaft from an xj automatic isn't likely to work. However, a front shaft from an automatic v8 zj with the 231/242 may just be long enough. See--> http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF

HEY, THAT'S HANDY! I love stuff like this, thanx.

Any one able to chime in regarding the transfer case mount plate doowah-diddy thing?

Re: tcase drop MOUNT

Well i found out a little more about the tcase drop..... it seems that the crossmember (it appears to be stock looking, but this is my first XJ) has been reinstalled with the front bolt holes over the Rear crossmember holes in the jeep frame rails. Then new bolt holes must have been put in for the rear of the mount.

It certainly makes sense, as this would allow a drop plate with an S bend of 1.5" to reach forward and support the 231. Has anyone heard of this? or is the empty frame hole ahead of my crossmember for a skid plate that i dont have. - it certainly looks how an uncovered factory crossmember hole oughta look

Back