• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which diff and trans case oil?

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
'96 XJ here and I'm changing out my rear diff and transfer case gear oils for the first time and have a couple questions.

Looks like both the diff and transfer case use about 3 qts of oil each and I have two different kinds (3 qts each)...

gearoilpic_zps236f102c.jpg

The Master Pro is from O'Reiley's

Are these two oils ok to use? Since the XJ has an open differential I just got the cheap stuff that doesn't say 'for use with limited slip differentials.' $5/qt. vs. about $11.50/qt. Which brand should I put in the transfer case and which in the diff? Or should I take these two back and use something different altogether?

Transfer case does NOT use gear oil. It uses Dexron ATF like you would put in the transmission. About 1.5 quarts.

Rear differential is about 1.5-2 quarts of gear oil similar to what you have pictured. However, Chrysler recommends 75W-140 SYNTHETIC for severe service (towing, etc) with a Dana 35.

One other point to mention if this is your first time - from the factory the differential covers took RTV. Some folks prefer to use gaskets because they don't like scraping off RTV.

Back