• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power in drive, 3rd gear....

Coastie

NAXJA Forum User
I went wheeling with my new to me Jeep for the first time this past weekend and she did great for having 260,000K on the clock except for one thing.

So on our second day of wheeling I got bogged down in a narrow trail and was a little stuck. I was giving the Jeep some gas and all of a sudden it felt like I wasn't getting any power to the wheels in drive or 3rd gear. Reverse worked fine and so did 1-2 gear. So we winched me out and I check the tranny fluid it didn't smell burned and the levels were fine. After getting back to a main road we let it sit for a while and talked about how I was getting home. I got back in to drive it around a bit and after about 45 min of cooling down it seemed to be working fine and I made it home under my own power.

My friends seem to think that once the tranny got hot enough the bands were slipping and the gears weren't engaging. I personally have no clue, the tranny is old with a lot of miles so something along those lines makes sense to me.

Oh all my fuses are fine.

I found another tranny on CL with 87K on the clock for $100 I am thinkin of doing the swap just because anyway and it'd give me a good reason to go ahead splurg on the SYE :)

Any ideas you have would be cool thanks.
Olly

The gears are always engaged. Different clutches take the power thru different gears. If the bands were slipping, the fluid would smell nasty. And usually, the transmission gives out pretty quick. I would pick up that tranny ASAP because of your miles too. That's a good deal.

Had this same problem with the trans I got from a donor jeep. I dropped the pan and the pan was full of pudding. New filter and fliuds it worked great...for a few days. Then it was back to the same problem. The pudding was a mix of all the surface material from the trans and it was clogging up the valve body. So a trip to pull a part and some help for High2by and PacificEd we got it swapped out and now she runs great. So I guess what I am saying is drop the pan and plan on getting another trans.

Back