• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country??????

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a 3 inch lift for a 96 xj. I am on a limited budget. I want to run 31's and really have no plan for serious offroading. I have been told by a few people that the rough country 3 inch kit, would suit me fine and fit my needs. Anyone out there have an opinion of that kit or any other another suggestions for budget minded 3" lifts. Thanks Nick

only do RC if you are really in a bind for $...itll cost about 230$ (jcw 99$ deal, and some shocks) shipped, but rustys offroad has a 3" with shocks that you can get for 245$ without shipping

If you're on a budget, I'd say go with Rusty's. I got the 3" AAL kit, and I'm very happy with it. 245 w/ shocks. Rusty's is cheap and you have a lot of options for customizing your kit.
JMHO

You will probably like the way Rusty's 3" lift rides a lot more then the Rough Country. They don't call it ROUGH for nothing. Later, Eric

That's right, Rusty's kit is about as soft as they come.

Ive got the RC 3" lift with the front coils, rear full length AAL, and the hydro shocks. It isn't rough at all, its actually pretty soft and rides better than stock IMO. I've been running this kit for almost a year now, and it hasnt sagged on me yet, I got and still have a true 3" all the way around.

It's a decent kit for the money ($235) if you ask me.

tavisflexin1b.jpg

The RC kit was the first one I tried,it had a great ride and flexes like crazy.I sold it to a freind of mine and he's been running it for 2years now.He loves it too!RMS is still selling them w/ shocks for 230$.

I wish I would have got the RC

Instead of getting a RC I spent a little more and got a 3 inch Superlift for $305 (with shocks and add a leaf). My buddy went with the RC 4.5 which he paid more like $450 (with add a leaf), anouther buddy bought the RC 3 inch for $250. The RC 3 inch works and rides like mine, but the 4.5 sweet! The ride is the same but he can fit 31's with out too much rubbing. My 31' BFG AT's rub all the time and thats on the street with out disco'ed! Now I am buying up parts for a RE 4.5 lift to up grade! When I get all the parts my Superlift goes on ebay! My suggestion is to start looking at the 4.5 lifts even if you have a street rig!
Atom
96 SE with 3inch SuperLift/ 31' BFG AT's/ Jet Chip/ Tomken disco's and frount/rear Bumpers

rough country is crap. I had 3 " of spacers and there 3 " springs and bairley got 3.5" I bought it all new too. Don't waste your time or money with them. you will regret it. Go with Rubicon express. A 3" Rough country kit will not address the track bar issues you will have, there will be no lower control arms and there will also be no brake line extenders. It may be cheap now, but it will nickle and dime you to death to get everything right with it. Oh yeah , you will probably need a transfer case drop kit too! another hidden cost Rough country won't tell you. Rustys and Rubicon Express pervide for all of this. Check them out first.

XJeacdabnow said:
rough country is crap. I had 3 " of spacers and there 3 " springs and bairley got 3.5" I bought it all new too. Don't waste your time or money with them. you will regret it. Go with Rubicon express. A 3" Rough country kit will not address the track bar issues you will have, there will be no lower control arms and there will also be no brake line extenders. It may be cheap now, but it will nickle and dime you to death to get everything right with it. Oh yeah , you will probably need a transfer case drop kit too! another hidden cost Rough country won't tell you. Rustys and Rubicon Express pervide for all of this. Check them out first.

like i said, my 3" netted me exactly 3". No problems with the track bar at 3", dont need LCA's, also, at full droop the brakelines are ok not being extended ( i may move my bracket down just a bit because they do get just a little tight).

I dont think I'd ever do a TC drop, and you wont need to worry about driveline agles at 3", execpt for maybe newer XJ's (mines a 94).

I just Installed RC 4.5" about 300miles ago. great ride and feel. have slight driveshaft vibs with no tc drop. no swaybars. 32x11.50r15 no rubbing. wanted a 3" kit, but after doing the research. the 3" kit doesnt come with all that you need. rusty's has a good price untillyou add the shipping. so I went with the RC kit. The only thing I want to change is the track bar, to Rusty's or RE. RC's Is just a bracket to let the bar move without contact. It does fit the tb problem. so it looks to me. If you go with the 3" kit get an adjustable tb or something to fix it. drive line should be ok.

Thanks to all for the help and opinions. I think i am gonna go with the rusty's 3". anyone got pics of rusty's 3 inch with 31's? NICK

I have been running the RC 4.5" lift for about a year now, I've had no problems or vibrations and the ride is great. Flex's like crazy, and I'm running 32's with no rubbing after a lil bit of fender well trimming. Couldn't be more satisfied
88xjosh

i ride the rc 3" and it rides good, i wish i would have run the gas shocks though, the hydros were just way to soft,it would lateraly wallow,which is ok on the dirt but a pain on the road. mine sits at 3" but i have a 1"daystar too. but i have a rear 31" tire on a carrier,full skids and custom fab side bars. i like the ride with stiffer shocks. as to rusty ,while his products are good i have had lots of issues with shipping. i have been told since dec 20 that he is sending a bracket for my front skid every friday! gpoing on month 4. if you can buy a unit without going through him then it sounds great,but beware of his promises and shipping practices. i have his skids which required all new holes to line up with his pieces and a hd track bar,which i like but only because i bought if off "not him". i got the rough country for 230 shipped and was here on time, not 3 weeks late. just my 2 cents.

I have a rough country 3 inch lift on my 2000.just got their adjustable Trac bar.What a piece of shit.at three inches my xj is still perfectly centered any way.The bar was too long for three inches and it is lighter that the factory bar the little tierod end looks like tiawan made crap.Im runn ing their swaybar discos and i had to modify them to make them fit.These guys will tell you all of this stuff will work with a 3 inch lift but that is outright bs.It is all designed for 4.5 or bigger.I learned my lesson. :NAXJA:

XJeacdabnow said:

the RC kit comes with the trans drop kit.

Back