• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which parts need to be Mopar?

Tony the Liger

NAXJA Forum User
I know some people will say that none of them need to be Mopar, but are there any particular parts that you guys think should always be OEM/Mopar, and any that you feel okay about going aftermarket?

I'm replacing my water pump, fan clutch, thermostat and radiator cap, and most searches I've done seem to return a consensus that Mopar (if an option financially) is the way to go for the pump and fan clutch, if not all those parts. Anyone disagree?

Anywhere you prefer to purchase Mopar for decent prices?

Mopar for the water pump is the way I went -- I bought it from Rock auto

I also bought the fan clutch from Rock -- didn't go mopar but went with the more expensive aftermarket -- four seasons

Thermostat is stant -- cap the same

I buy Mopar parts for thermostats, water pumps, radiators, radiator hoses, heater cores, evaporators, all sensors, ignition coils, wires, harmonic balancers, and suspension bolts. Fan clutches the Mopar ones are a bit easier to work, but the ones from NAPA work fine. Suspension, steering, alternators, on down the line I buy from the parts stores/houses.

If you are replacing your fan clutch, look into the upgrade for the grand cherokee that fits on the cherokee. I went with that one and it has definitely made a difference.

The ZJ fan clutch takes more power to run, so if you don't need "extra" cooling go with the stock XJ one. People have reported losing fuel economy running a ZJ.

The ZJ fan clutch takes more power to run, so if you don't need "extra" cooling go with the stock XJ one. People have reported losing fuel economy running a ZJ.

How much power/mpg loss are we talking? Can't say for certain that I won't need extra cooling after I replace some of the other components of the cooling system, but as someone who hates/fears an overheating vehicle worse than just about anything, I'd be willing to trade a little power for a cooler engine, if the loss is negligible.

However, if that "need" you're referring to stems from mudding, rock crawling, towing, or any other situations that tax the motor more than usual, then I probably don't need it. The most off-roading I'll be doing in this thing for the time being is trips around old fire, logging, and coal mining roads along the mountaintops in my area.

Last edited:
What year is your jeep? It makes a big difference.

How much power/mpg loss are we talking? Can't say for certain that I won't need extra cooling after I replace some of the other components of the cooling system, but as someone who hates/fears an overheating vehicle worse than just about anything, I'd be willing to trade a little power for a cooler engine, if the loss is negligible.

However, if that "need" you're referring to stems from mudding, rock crawling, towing, or any other situations that tax the motor more than usual, then I probably don't need it. The most off-roading I'll be doing in this thing for the time being is trips around old fire, logging, and coal mining roads along the mountaintops in my area.

I'm afraid I don't know what this means.

Then your in serious trouble!!!!

LOL

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Throttle Position Sensor

And maybe the CTS, Coolant Temperature sensor.

I'm not really sure as I've never tried one but at least some others have tried and gone back to the stock fan clutch. If you haven't needed it yet, chances are you won't. Best way to keep the motor from overheating is to keep up on maintenance by changing the thermostat and radiator cap every couple of years.

Oil pressure (sensor) sending unit
I try to go Mopar on all sensors, and for everything else if I can afford the difference- for things like spark plugs, or less sensitive parts, I go with whatever came on it from factory.

Just everyone else's parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since all my jeeps were made in 1985-89 by AMC with GM parts, I don't use many Mopar parts, LOL

1991 was the first year any real Mopar parts were used?

Back