• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint not seating properly after taking it to a reputable shop

Mcmadman

NAXJA Forum User
Fv7PKNw.jpg
they said they would weld it and havnt offered a tow yet!thoughts?

Ballpoint not seating properly after taking it to a reputable shop

Ok. No expert but I noticed a few things.
first you're missing a rubber boot that should cover some of that gap to the top of the knuckle.
To me it does not look like the top ball joint pressed in deep enough.

But it could also be the brand ball joints. Look like synergy maybe.

When I replaced ball joints last year I used spicer (oem) parts they pressed just like the original. I was going to replace the knuckle with a new aftermarket except the first side I tried didn't sit as flush as the original knuckle so cleaned up the original knuckles and put them back. Those knuckles sat flush and looked like it had before the job.

I'm not sure about the tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Ballpoint not seating properly after taking it to a reputable shop

they said they would weld it and havnt offered a tow yet!thoughts?
Unless that hole was already wallowed out, it's time to put a ding in that shop's reputation!

Have you sent this picture to the manager?

The ball joint isn't pressed in all the way at the "c"! It doesn't "seem" like it's seated all the way in the knuckle either.

It looks the same as both my XJs, except for the missing rubber boot on the top ball joint. The top joint looks strange since it allows up and down movement.

Take it back and tell them to put the rubber boot on, the one that came with the new ball joint.

ide ask why its not pressed in all the way, correct me if im wrong, but isnt that the point of having the flange on the joint, so its seated once all the way in?

Apparently thhis a new moot joint that has no boot?? They wanted to weld it on it on.. I do have someone that is giving me an axle

Ballpoint not seating properly after taking it to a reputable shop

Should be Moog k3134t, Amazon reviews have it exposed but In one of their pictures it also looks pressed in all the way.
Supposedly this Moog is slightly oversized too.
I'm not sure if anything is "wrong" or just how Moog is now. They used to be a very good name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced mine with the same moog ball joint. Yes they are boot-less. I installed mine and there was no gap.

What are you guys doing with your jeeps to create an out-of-round, press fit, ball joint channel?

The flange should be flush against the axle C.

1. If the axle C is wallowed out then you either cut it off and weld on a new one, or replace the axle.

2. Some cheap aftermarket crap ball joints are oversized and cause enlarged bores.

3. Some of the cheap aftermarket crap are offset differently so they cannot work unless the lower is also changed.

For a stock vehicle, the factory Spicers are best, followed maybe by NAPA Chassis with the blue boot.

I see no evidence that the lower was changed, so (3) may be the cause.

If you paid with a credit card you might consider disputing the charge. If they ask if you tried to work it out with the shop, you might would you go back to a place that did this in the first place?

That ball joint is without a doubt not fully seated. Did it look like this when you picked the vehicle up?

A reputable shop charged you money and let you leave and drive on public roads with
your brand new ball joint(s) looking like this?

I have Moogs on my '96 XJ. Put them on them myself. The uppers were made in the
USA. The lowers were made in some Asian foreign land (sigh) but they looked OK.
I had no problems getting them to seat fully. You need the proper adapters (or shims)
on your ball joint press to do this correctly or else the ball joint will go in slightly off-square and will get hung up part-way in the knuckle while being pressed in.

In any case, why were the rubber boots left off? Did this shop figure that you'd never
take the time to inspect their handy work?

No I left the shop without looking and got home to this

I'm having a hard time fathoming how that could have worked its way up after installation which leads me to believe it left the shop in that condition. It never should have. They should repair it ASAP at absolutely no charge. If they installed it crooked they may need to replace your inner C as it could have damaged it.

Welding ball joints into place is a last resort option for a completely trashed inner C. It is valid tech but I wouldn't want anybody to do it without my direct supervision. If you overheat it you can damage the joint and it is critical that they then add a lot of grease to it when done because even careful welding will overheat the grease that's in there.

You guys are awesome this blew up on fb but I didn't put the shop but got more I go here instantly than there ...id dispute the charge what would I even say

Back