• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New issue, low to no oil pressure!

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I had a extreme cooling system failure not to long back. To keep it short, I'm curios as to what bearing failure would be the first affected. At this time my thoughts are leaning toward the rods?

Before jumping to conclusions,
1) If you have a Fram filter, throw it away and get a good filter.
2) Change what ever filter you are running to a good one, such as Wix
3) Get a manual gauge and check. I have seen way too many sensors go bad over the years.

In the mean time, go with a heavier oil such as a 15w40 or 20w40.

The rear main bearing can have the biggest impact since all the oil goes up through there. Cam bearings tend to not cause much because they are loaded less. If the rods are worn to the point the pressure starts dropping, and if I could hear worth a damn any more, I would be listening for rod knock.

It's not the gauge, I have owned this (and 4 others prior) since day one. It's a 2000 w/ 70k miles. Brand new oil change this weekend, always run Amsoil!

It's not the gauge, I have owned this (and 4 others prior) since day one. It's a 2000 w/ 70k miles. Brand new oil change this weekend, always run Amsoil!
When did this start and what oil filter are you running?

It started after the massive overheat, it was 118* ambient. Till then I was running 20low/60high when cold. After that it is 10/40 cold and after I drive about 10 miles(freeway) it drops to 0/30. If I hold a high idle it will maintain almost 10.

For the moment, use a thicker oil.

Believe me I've considered it but, that's a bandaid! But it could buy me time till winter! I thought about a HV pump, but since I'm pulling the pan,

if I'm pulling the pan, I might as well replace all the bearings,

if I'm doing all that I might as well go thru the heads,

Get where I'm going with this !!!!!

I bet you have a cracked 0331 head that has leaked coolant into the oil and has ruined the bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never found any traces of water in the oil. We'll do a sniffer test to check for any combustion traces.

Isn't it spun cam bearings that really affect oil pressure ?

If you're going to pull the pan it will probably tell that story although I'd try another sender/way to read the pressure to be sure before putting too much work in.
Could just be the oil pump or gears that turn it.

My dads 96 gc does this with his 4.0. Trail rig. It started after sitting at almost 90 degrease for 30-45 min. Lost oil pressure the whole time. As long as he keeps it reved it gets oil. I pulled the valve cover and found metal paste in the rocker ends. Now I traded my worn out 5.9 gc for a xj that me and him built a motor for. When he pulls the motor I'll go through it and see what failed. I have most of the tools to do it. When I do I'll post it up.

Believe me I've considered it but, that's a bandaid! But it could buy me time till winter! I thought about a HV pump, but since I'm pulling the pan,

if I'm pulling the pan, I might as well replace all the bearings,

if I'm doing all that I might as well go thru the heads,

Get where I'm going with this !!!!!
My statement about using thicker oil is to prevent any further damage while you sort it out. If you are pulling the pan, looking at and possibly plastigauge on the bearings will tell you a whole lot.

I'm just trying to get a game plan together. I just spent 2k on it last week......
New Griffin Radiator
Rebuilt my LA's
and installed Ten Factory front axles

Well I took the first step on the ladder! I replaced the sender with the results being the same. Next will be a change to 20/50 and see what happens.

Thicker oil is only a bandaid if it works.

The two usual easy to fix main causes are usually faulty sender or gauge then oil filter and clogged pick up.

I eluded to it in post #4, but it's irrelevant. I have been building motors and using Amsoil products for 40yrs, but I am a Chevy/Volkswagen man and have never dealt with a Jeep motor(besides owning them)!

So in other words, you are running and Amsoil filter? Not everybody is aware that they make (rebadge) filters. Still, if the drop in pressure happened after the oil change, I would change the filter. Even the best can get a bad build from time to time.

Back