NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 31st, 2013, 17:31
NAXJA Forum User

Re: H.D. Offroad no lift shackle relocation install

Nice looking brackets. One question, just out of curiosity. What is the large oval hole intended for? Thanks
Old March 31st, 2013, 18:23
Associate

H.D. Offroad no lift shackle relocation install

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykes091 View Post
Nice looking brackets. One question, just out of curiosity. What is the large oval hole intended for? Thanks
The stock shackle bolt.
Old March 31st, 2013, 18:30
<- Yum Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykes091 View Post
It's for bolt to go into the stock location, its ovaled so the bracket can be moved up and down depending on if you want it above or below a hitch/skid or both.
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:33
NAXJA Forum User

Stump and I just finished up my install a bit ago. There were a few things we ''revised'' to make life easier, but overall was very simple! Thankfully Stumps plasma made short work of all the cutting of the stock boxes! I put a good bit of info on install/our revisions in my build thread here. We had to trim the interior plates to fit correctly, and remove the filler hose shield for box clearance. We ended up slotting the holes on the frame rail side since I had a hitch installed, it made that a lot easier on us. Thanks for a great product, loving them so far!

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.ph...#post245890741
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:28
<- Yum Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmaynard View Post
Stump and I just finished up my install a bit ago. There were a few things we ''revised'' to make life easier, but overall was very simple! Thankfully Stumps plasma made short work of all the cutting of the stock boxes! I put a good bit of info on install/our revisions in my build thread here. We had to trim the interior plates to fit correctly, and remove the filler hose shield for box clearance. We ended up slotting the holes on the frame rail side since I had a hitch installed, it made that a lot easier on us. Thanks for a great product, loving them so far!

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.ph...#post245890741
Pm sent thanks
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:23
NAXJA Forum User

I know they will improve the shackle angle, but will these fix my unintended shackle bump stop against the bumper?

Tell me "yes" and I will order a set today.

Old April 15th, 2013, 13:59
<- Yum Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisk View Post
I know they will improve the shackle angle, but will these fix my unintended shackle bump stop against the bumper?

That sucks, no will not help that, but a cut off wheel or plasma will.
Old April 15th, 2013, 14:09
NAXJA Forum User

Is that an aftermarket bumper? Seems like it's unusually close to the shackle.
Old April 15th, 2013, 14:48
NAXJA Forum User

It's a Smittybilt XRC rear bumper. I guess they didn't think anyone would be using it with longer shackles. It will get a taste of plasma next week.

I'll still be ordering the relocation brackets soon.
Old April 16th, 2013, 13:20
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
It's a Smittybilt XRC rear bumper. I guess they didn't think anyone would be using it with longer shackles. It will get a taste of plasma next week.

I'll still be ordering the relocation brackets soon.
Sucks about the bumper, but the plasma will definitely make short work of that problem. Not sure if your suspension is drooping in that picture, but that shackle angle is horrible. If thats what it looks like during normal ride height, the shackle relocation brackets will be your best friend. Plenty of holes to dial in the right angle.
Old April 16th, 2013, 13:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Actually, if you gain no lift, but put your shackle in a position that it is at a 45 degree angle, it should solve your issue, since the bottom end of the shackle will swing up(and a little back) instead of straight back.
Old April 16th, 2013, 13:52
<- Yum Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98stocker View Post
Actually, if you gain no lift, but put your shackle in a position that it is at a 45 degree angle, it should solve your issue, since the bottom end of the shackle will swing up(and a little back) instead of straight back.
Actually the lift brackets would probably help as it would move everything down.

The no lift brackets would not help in this situation (ride and flex would be better but they would still hit bumper), but if you did add them and move to the other hole in the shackle you would get a ton more down travel.
Old April 16th, 2013, 23:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANHO13 View Post
Actually the lift brackets would probably help as it would move everything down.

The no lift brackets would not help in this situation (ride and flex would be better but they would still hit bumper), but if you did add them and move to the other hole in the shackle you would get a ton more down travel.

Maybe I am looking at the picture wrong, but if you keep the spring eye in the same spot, no lift, yet mount the shackle so that it is at a 45 degree angle, how could it touch the bumper? The shackle would have to mount about 3 inches forward and the arc of the shackle could never reach the bumper.
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:42
<- Yum Chocolate

Looking at the pic he only has about an inch of clearance, so something will be hitting that bumper. The spring eye will still be traveling back and up, the hit may not be as severe but I am guessing it would still hit.
Old June 26th, 2013, 17:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANHO13 View Post
It's for bolt to go into the stock location, its ovaled so the bracket can be moved up and down depending on if you want it above or below a hitch/skid or both.
I'm not quite sure I follow what you mean. Why would one want to use the original "stock" location for the shackle? Sorry if I'm being thick headed, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around this install before I buy one.