• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Wheel Stud

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
What's involved with replacing a broken wheel stud on my rear axle (an 8.25). Does the drum brake have to come off or can it be pressed out with the drum brake in place?

Brake drum has to come off. It's also helpful if you pull the axle shaft out (at least a bit, if you're using a screw press or a G-clamp) so you have room behind the thing. You'll need enough room on the backside to press the stud out, for whatever you use as a receiver for the thing (large socket or bit of pipe) and for the fixed jaw of the G-clamp.

It is possible to do without fully removing the axleshaft - just a bit limiting. I'll usually just pull the thing all the way out and take it in the garage, since I prefer to work standing up at the workbench (vice crouching next to the rig.)

This would probably be a good time for a PM service on the wheel bearings and seals.

Back