• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help diagnosing a problem

JonsXjProjekt

NAXJA Forum User
My 92 xj, 136,000 MI smokes sometimes on start up and when idling for a while the smoke is white which means its oil but what could be causing this problem??? Any suggestions would be great Thanks. Sorry Admin.. please move this to OEM TECH thought i was in the correct forum

JonsXjProjekt said:
My 92 xj, 136,000 MI smokes sometimes on start up and when idling for a while the smoke is white which means its oil but what could be causing this problem??? Any suggestions would be great Thanks. Sorry Admin.. please move this to OEM TECH thought i was in the correct forum

White smoke = water
Blue smoke = oil

Head gasket?...

amazing... thought it was the other way around... I just picked up a head gasket prior to this post... but the thing is ... does not eat up coolant at all... stays full all times.

Yeah, the head gasket thing was a shot in the dark. I am by no means a mechanic, just a shadetree mechanic waiting for a tree to grow. :laugh3:

I would imagine it's using up water somewhere, if you're getting smoke...maybe just a really small amount that's not enough to notice?

prb24 said:
White smoke = water
Blue smoke = oil

Head gasket?...

burning water would make steam and a sweet smell in the exhaust..

my guess would be valve seals or piston rings..?
you can pull off the oil filler cap and see if you're getting excessive "blow by"
that would give an idea on the rings..
does it stop after a while??
if so I would lean more towards the valve seals

smell the exhaust and see if it smells "rich" with gas. may be something fuel related.

that way you will know for sure if it's gas, oil or coolant

JUST DONT SNIFF FOR EXTENDED AMOUNT OF TIME....

jeepinandy said:
burning water would make steam and a sweet smell in the exhaust..

Right...and white smoke...

smell the exhaust and see if it smells "rich" with gas. may be something fuel related.

That would be black smoke...

I'm pretty good with colors...and I can usually keep them inside the lines!

thanks for the correction on the colors... It's been a while since I've had to diagnose that kind of problem couldn't remember.... lol

never could color worth a crap.... :cheers:

If it's white smoke at startup after it's been sitting overnight, it's your value seals. You'll get a plumb of white smoke that will go away soon after startup, but may re-appear slightly when idling. Basically, oil sitting in the rocker area is seeping past the seals. Not sure if that fully describes your symptoms, but hope it helps.

If it's more like a steady amount of smoke all the time, it's most likely (as mentioned) your rings. A leak-down test will confirm.

Last edited:
sflier said:
If it's white smoke at startup after it's been sitting overnight, it's your value seals. You'll get a plumb of white smoke that will go away soon after startup, but may re-appear slightly when idling. Basically, oil sitting in the rocker area is seeping past the seals. Not sure if that fully describes your symptoms, but hope it helps.

Sounds like what I have. What are consequences of this with my value seals??

Also, as I was getting off an Exit Ramp on to I-84... I noticed that I had a cloud of white smoke behind me for about 10 seconds and then it was gone.

Is that anything I should be worried about?

Ghetto2315 said:
Sounds like what I have. What are consequences of this with my value seals??

Also, as I was getting off an Exit Ramp on to I-84... I noticed that I had a cloud of white smoke behind me for about 10 seconds and then it was gone.

Is that anything I should be worried about?

You should probably worry enough to do a leakdown or compression test to make sure it's not the rings. If it isn't, then you really can decide on the basis of how much oil it burns and how often you have to clean the plugs. Valve seals can go on leaking just about forever without harm, but not without cost if you use oil.

But make sure your crankcase vent system is working properly. Check the little vacuum tube for sludge and clogs, cracked elbows, etc. It might help. The reason you get those clouds on the exit ramp is because this is when engine vacuum is highest, and it pulls oil in past leaky seals or rings. When the vent is working properly there's a little vacuum pulling the other way.

Matthew Currie said:
You should probably worry enough to do a leakdown or compression test to make sure it's not the rings. If it isn't, then you really can decide on the basis of how much oil it burns and how often you have to clean the plugs. Valve seals can go on leaking just about forever without harm, but not without cost if you use oil.

But make sure your crankcase vent system is working properly. Check the little vacuum tube for sludge and clogs, cracked elbows, etc. It might help. The reason you get those clouds on the exit ramp is because this is when engine vacuum is highest, and it pulls oil in past leaky seals or rings. When the vent is working properly there's a little vacuum pulling the other way.

I'm not burning any oil, nor do I have any leaks if thats helps any.

Ummm is the CCV the top elbow on the valve cover or the bottom one going to my intake box? (I have a little oil in the air box / filter... blow-by?) If its the top one, the line got disconnected from the elbow and I just jammed it back in...

Thank you for the explanation. Kind of a noob... where would I go to get a leak down or compression test besides the stealership??

The definitive test for valve seals is to get the engine good and warm. Pull into Burger King's drive through behind a half dozen cars. If it is the valve stem clearance/seals, it will be smoking like mad after a few minutes idling and waiting in line. It takes very little oil to smoke a lot with valve seals since when you are driving the vacuum is low, so it only smokes a lot when the trottle is closed, like decelerating getting off the freeway.

Okay, last question I promise!

This is what is broken under the hood (what I'm holding):
275689_303_full.jpg

Is that my CCV or PCV?? I bought this Motormite Part (#47056):
1612150_3_full.jpg

Do I have the correct part to fix it? What will happen if I dont??

How much to fix at stealership???

Thank you guys...

Back